• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    A few weeks ago I posted a thread about how I spent my weekend. I didn't say it at the time but basically, it was some pics from a climbing trip to Red River Gorge in Kentucky to practice and train for an upcoming climbing trip to top Devils Tower in Wyoming.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/165060-my_weekend_in_pictures.html

I got back today from my trip to Wyoming and I thought I share some new pictures with my good friends here on INGO.

I drove up to Chicago last Friday night and met up with my climbing partner. The next morning we sorted and double checked our gear and left early heading north and then west.

c6145b4b.jpg

The drive out was long but uneventful. We stopped for the night somewhere in South Dakota and hit Badlands National Park the next morning. The park was pretty amazing. I though there would be more rock there, but it's basically just piles of mud. Eventually ( in thousands of years) it will all wash away.

badlands1.jpg

BL1.jpg

BL2.jpg

BL3.jpg

BL4.jpg

BL5.jpg

BL6.jpg

BL7.jpg

We hiked on and off trail for about two hours in the park.

Then it was back in the car for a short(ish) hop to Mt. Rushmore.

MR1.jpg

And on to Devils Tower.

For those who don't know, it is most likely something like an underground volcanic plug that remained when the surrounding land eroded. It was also the first US national monument.

Devils Tower National Monument - Frequently Asked Questions (U.S. National Park Service)

Sadly, it's probably best known as a backdrop for the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Remember the mash potato and later dirt and rock tower Richard Dreyfuss builds? Yeah, that's it.

closeencounters1.jpg

Anyway, here's my pics:

devilstower1.jpg

In the next pic if you look closely you can see a climber on the rock face. Look right in the middle about 1/2 of the way up. That should give you some idea of scale.

DT6.jpg

I won't bore you all with the climbing details, but I will say that even with a guide, it was one of the hardest climbs I've ever done in my life.

6c142db0.jpg

DT1.jpg

DT2.jpg

DT4.jpg

2d10ebe1.jpg

You've got to trust your life to bolts, carabiners and webbing.

88d1ff0e.jpg

On the summit.

23f9c171.jpg

Rappelling down:

acf976b5.jpg

DT3.jpg

I don't like the phrase "bucket list", but if I had one, this climb was on it. I have been wanting to climb Devils Tower for about 12 years now. And now that it's sent, I need to set a new goal.

Maybe El Cap? :):

El Capitan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Definitely cool. :yesway:

My bro-in-law and sister both free climb, though he does more than she. I went out with him and one of his climbing friends to Yosemite years ago when I was visiting them in CA. Incredible ...and that doesn't come close to describing it fully. I spent the day walking around, taking in the experience of the park through photographs while the two of them did a day-climb. Again, the place is just breath-taking, even if you don't climb.

I do remember looking up at Half Dome (imagining myself as a modern day Ansel Adams ...sort of) and listing to a group of people just off one of the tour buses as they watched the spec-sized people climbing. Had to chuckle to myself as I remembered my sister telling of their experiences climbing at Yosemite. FWIW, climbers engage in all the "normal" bodily functions that everyone else does ...just while they're attached to the side of a rock. :D

Absolutely put Yosemite on your list; you won't be disappointed! :yesway:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    wow. I can only dream to bask in your manliness in the hopes that I will be great someday.

on the other hand, I can't do climbs like that due to my knee. it doesn't do uphill walking or changes in altitude gracefully.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Definitely cool. :yesway:

Absolutely put Yosemite on your list; you won't be disappointed! :yesway:

My climbing partner is married to one of my oldest friends. They had their ceremony in Yosemite Valley at an overlook in the Mariposa groves.

Yosemite National Park - Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias (U.S. National Park Service)

We took him out bouldering the morning of the wedding while the bride did her thing to get ready. She threatened us with death if he came back injured, so it's funny in all the pics there are at least three people spotting him any time he left the ground.

I don't know that I'd enjoy multi-day big wall climbing, but maybe two or three days on half dome wouldn't be so bad.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Wow, you said Devil's Tower and my first though was... oh, wait :) Man, I wish I could still do stuff like that, you had some awesome views that you just have to earn. Photography doesn't do that stuff justice. Rock on, man.

Top Bottom