Did you know we had these? (Rainbow darter)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    First time I've ever seen them. Very cool looking fish. Saw it in the Driftwood river today.

My pic:
    7006979327_57a276214d_z.jpg

Better internet photo:

Rainbow_Darter-Jeff_web.JPG

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I've never seen one but I looked it up. Etheostoma caeruleum is the scientific name , they are native to north America. They live in fast moving streams and small rivers and the best part is they only live in pollution free water. So wherever you saw this little guy is a clean water source.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't think so, they are native, and there were lots of them all the same size. Hard to photograph, I guess they didn't call them "darters" for no reason. :laugh:

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Yes, I've seen one in the wild before. It was many years ago on the South Fork of Wildcat Creek in Tippecanoe County. They are pretty small, just a few inches long. I actually scooped it up in my hand for a closer look, then set him loose.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    That was cool, i have fished indiana waters for 40 years and never seen one of those. But years ago in a small creek while fishing with mmy grandfather, he caught a rainbow trout. It had a tag of some sort on it and her released it. I was just a kid and thought we should keep it. buts gramps said no that some day it would not be so rare. But other than lake michigan I have never caught or seen one caught in indiana. By the way this was near seymore.

Top Bottom