• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I am starting a guy out reloading today. He is looking at equipment now but is going to load with me for awhile. I have the caliber conversion for my Dillon for 45ACP but sold my dies with the gun several years ago. I have Dillon dies for the handgun stuff that I load and the rifle is a mixed bag of RCBS and Redding. I have 1 set of Hornady rifle dies and they seem OK. My question is are their 45 ACP dies good? Does it come with a taper crimp like the Dillons? The reason I ask is we can get the Hornady dies local. We will be putting them on a Dillon 550?

Any thoughts I would buy the Dillon dies because I know what to expect from them the Hornadys may be just as good but looking for input from others that have Dillon and Hornady dies.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Well since no one answered I did what I thought was the best move. I called Dillon today I needed a few replacement parts so I ordered a set of dieswhile on the phone with them.

I have the old Dillon dies in everything but the 40S&W. I just got those not long ago from Andrew let me tell you they are great. They come apart to clean them without loosing the adjustment. Look on thier website for more info on the new style but I will slowly be replacing my old Dillon dies with the new style.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You can't go wrong with Dillon dies. Personally, I like to use Lee decapping / resizing dies because they have the 'unbreakable decapping pin" which has saved me a lot of money over the years. I also prefer a separate bullet seat and crimp die, but the Dillon dies tend to adjust a little better than the other types, so personally, I think you made the right choice.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There really is nothing wrong with the Lee Carbide pistol die sets, either. They are a lot less money and if you measure up your ammo finished on Lee dies, it's right in specification.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    +1 on dillon. Wish I would have gone with Dillon sizer die instead of a RCBS for 223.

Top Bottom