• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm having 150 gallons of diesel fuel delivered today. I use it in my tractor, gator, and generator. I expect this to last me 3-12 months depending largely on how much I have to run my generator. Do you guys put any additives in your storage tanks?

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ask the supplier that you bought it from. A couple things I would be concerned with would be water and algae contamination over time.
    If your buying this time of year, I'm sure your gettting winter mix, so thats one issue gone.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I caught the delivery guy and asked him. He said with this super x stuff, it will last forever. I've got a jug of diesel conditioner. I'll read the directions and see how much to put in per gallon and give it a shot of that stuff.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I was going to suggest either Biobor or Prist. It's what we use in Jet A to prevent biological growth in fuel/fuel tanks. Jet A and Diesel/Kerosene are pretty similar

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My dad and one of my uncles use biobor for all the farm tanks. I think a pint bottle treats around a thousand gallons +/-

You'll lessen the chances of algae by just keeping water out of it too.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    My dad and one of my uncles use biobor for all the farm tanks. I think a pint bottle treats around a thousand gallons +/-

You'll lessen the chances of algae by just keeping water out of it too.

That's about right, for 2000-3000 gallons we may have used a little more than a pint.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Startron prevents algae buildup. It also binds to the algae and water making both sink to the bottom of the tank so you can drain it out, otherwise it is now large enough to get caught in the fuel filter. I would suggest a Racor turbine series fuel water separator between the tank and the pump. It might look expensive at first, but it will allow you to polish your fuel instead of hiring someone to come get the ickies out or buy a polisher. After it is installed, all you do is put the nozzle in the gas cap and let it pump for the duration of the tank capacity. So if it is 100 gallon tank, let it pump 100 gallons and it will clean up your fuel and get the water out. I spent 5 years living on top of a floating 2500 gallon diesel tank, and we left the dock only in the summer. The notion of 1500 or more gallons of $5 a gallon diesel going bad wasn't something I ever had to contend with because I did the aforementioned.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom