• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have been reloading other cartridges for a while but am just now starting .223. I cleaned up some brass (some of mine + some range pickups, various headstamps) and almost all of them have a single nick/dimple in the neck area. Just curious if anyone has seen this or know what causes it?

223Shells.jpg

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have had some dimples in the shoulder areas caused by hydraulic pressure when using too much lube on resizing. Never had any in the neck.

Were these ones you shot or range pickup?

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have had some dimples in the shoulder areas caused by hydraulic pressure when using too much lube on resizing. Never had any in the neck.

Were these ones you shot or range pickup?

It's both and I'm not sure which is which. Next time I'm out I will use the brass catcher. Most of the brass was mine and it was old winchester white box stuff - no reloads. I was wondering if I had some sort of imperfection in my barrel but I don't have a scope to get in there and look around.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    It is probably a good idea to inspect the chamber area, but if there was something there causing it I would think it would be a line going all the way up the neck upon extraction.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    no, just tumbled to clean them up.
    Likely from the deflector, but in any direction they are totally safe to load and will simply fireform to your chamber. The minimal dents will not impact pressure or loads from capacity.

If the little dents extended into the neck, simply running a mandrel through them will push the imperfections out of the inside, just will still be visible on the outside.

Top Bottom