• AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    yea there a a couple tips.

Defiantly need a drill press to do this.

The jig I have does not fit in the rails as tight as I would like so I need to apply a slight amount of pressure while drilling the hole for the relocated MSH retaining pin to assure it is as far into the frame as I like. Other wise you will not be able to file the frame down enough to completely eliminate the original hole. Or so I have been told :)

Second if you have a stainless steel frame the file marks are easy to polish out. But if it is a painted frame be sure and allow that the frame will have to be refinished.

Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Thanks! I didn't think it would be too bad looking at the little bit I was able to find on the net. I have a friend that is a machinist that has what it takes to get the hole drilled right, the rest looks to be handwork that I feel confidant that I can handle with no problem.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I was thinking I could do the pic thing as I found little on the internet showing it... As my friends would tell you there isn't much I own that is "stock" whether it's guns or cars, or anything else... All any of it takes is careful preparation, a good understanding of what a task will take, and in this case a friend with a milling machine that will give me the ultra high confidence that the one hole will be drilled in the right place :) After that it's just a matter of slow and careful work with the right tools to remove the metal that is in the way! Of course nothing like doing this to a week old pistol that I've gotten to shoot once :) AllenM has confirmed my thoughts that there really isn't much to this job so off to Brownell's I go!! Now for the hard choice, smooth, checkered, or snakeskin?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I like Gunkote. It holds up well. But all I have to compare it to is Duracoat.
    I prefer the GunKote over Dura.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Fusion has a great deal on bobtail MSHs. I assume this is what you are talking about? I know a lot depends on taste and the gun's finish, but I like the checkered one. Classic look and not too bold.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Says the man with a body shop..... I want to do this also but all I have is a couple screwdrivers and a socket set. Good luck to the OP and let us know how it turns out.

It's true I am pretty spoiled. But those tools don't run themselves :)

Top Bottom