Do you load 223 differently for long range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I have not had the chance to shoot past 100 yards very much this year and I've only been reloading for about two months. I've noticed with one AR that I have that it is most accurate at 100 yards when I keep the bullet speed right at 2600 fps. It doesn't matter what grain bullet from 55 to 75 grain. 1/8 24" stainless steel bull barrel. I used this chart to figure out my drop and I think it is reasonable.
    JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
    I have not really had a chance to go for very many groups at 300 yards and I really want to shoot around 500. Do I need to speed it up for long range? My plan is to use 68 and almost exclusively 75 grain Hornady BTHP's. I've read that it takes over 100 yards for the 75 grain bullet to completely stabilize. Is that true? I know I just have to try this on my own but I'm curious to hear something from someone that really shoots long range 223. Anyone have any experience to share?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've been working up my 400 yard load for my precision AR (400 is the longest my range currently goes). At 500 yards I'm not that worried about the round going subsonic, but I'm aiming to minimize the flight time as much as possible to reduce wind effects, so I am looking to get the bullet as fast as I can and still keep it something the barrel likes. Right now I'm playing with the Hornady 75gr bthp. It indeed performs better at 200 yards than 100 yards.

The BTHP round tends to take a little distance to settle. This is one reason I prefer flat base bullets at 100 yards or less for my precision loads, they settle in faster. The tradeoff being that you get less distance with them due to the BC being worse.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    2900 fps for 68/69 grain bullets and 2800 fps for 75 grain bullets work in every AR I shoot them out of. It is my universal load.

The 68/69 groups better at 300 but the 75's don't get moved quite as much by wind changes.

And, yes, I shoot all the time out to 600 yards.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's alittle of what I've learned in the last couple years of really trying to get better at logn range shooting. These are just my opinions and are worth what you paid for them.

If you intend to shoot far, you're going to be better off using the heaviest bullet for that caliber that you can get to shoot accurately. More speed is just a bonus, but not as critical as weight.

When I work up a load for my 223's generally I've been using the 69gr bthp matchkings. I go through the routine of 5 shot groups at different .5gr powder increments up to the max in the book. Then I look at what 5 shot group is the tightest and then I have my new favorite load and I go make more of them. Don't get me wrong if the tightest group is at the upper end of the powder measurements I'm that much more happy, but I'm not going to turn down a sub 1/2" group for a 3/4" just because the 3/4" group was 50fps faster or whatever it works out to. I take the tightest groups I can get since I can make elevation adjustments pretty easy on my scope.

Most of my precision 223 shooting has been with savage heavy barreled rifles from 22 - 26 inches long with 1 in 9 twists. Using those I've gotten out to 800 yards up at Youngs. With those 75gr bullets you should be able to reach out at least 700 yards accurately depending on the rifle, barrel, optic etc.

If you really want to see what your rifle can do. You really owe it to yourself to drive up to Young's longshot for the day and try it out. You'd be amazed at what you'll learn on your first trip.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I've loaded the Hornady 75 grain BTHP's with RL-15, WC844, H335 and IMR 4895. The RL-15 did the worst out of the bunch, contrary to everything I read on line. I worked up loads with all of them in .2 grain increments from min. to max. loads. I've shot a bunch the last couple of months but I was really trying to use groups at 100 yards to tell me what I needed. The WC844, H335 and 4895 all performed about the same consistency in group size at 100 yards if I loaded to 2600 fps with the 4895 being alot cleaner. I already have the data on all of them to work beyond 2800 fps. I'll make up a couple of batches again and try them out at 200 and 300 to see if I get anything better. Thanks for the info from all so far. I shouldn't of put so much emphasis on group size at 100! Lesson learned. Still having a blast. I've loaded 55, 60, 62, 63, 68, 69 and 75's so far. My 1/9 20" AR does well with the faster loads at 100 with all of these.

Top Bottom