Does anyone else collect Indian artifacts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If you do, has all of this rain washed anything good out of the ground for you? I've found a number of pieces in the last month, but no more so than normal. I'm hoping that the record rains ave helped some fellow collectors.

23mar03

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My father-in-law has a excellent collection. In fact, everytime that he's able, he's roaming the riverbank(Ohio) with his brother. They usually come back with a few nice arrowheads, spearheads, etc....

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I live a short distance from the Ohio river, and just about every time I do an outdoor project that requires moving earth, I find something cool. I have a few nice arrowheads, and while digging post holes for my deck a few years back, I found some pottery type fragments just a few feet from the back door. I really can't say the pottery stuff is Native American, because our area has a few hundred years of settlers and explorers in it's history. The Lewis and Clark expedition began about 500 yards west of my yard.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Elevated and well drained soils area near a good source of water is a good place to start. You guys that have access to the banks of the Ohio River will probably have the best luck in finding artifacts. There are many places where the river is eating inton the bank and exposing more artifacts every spring. Lots of trespassing going on as the result. Remember that it is against a State law to do anything more than just a surface reconnaissance without a permit even on your own property. To get such a permit, you have to be a qualified archaeologist who is on the list of qualified archaeologists maintained by the IDNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. You also need to submit a plan and justification for what you want to do. This law was our legislature's knew jerk reaction to something that happened down in Posey County many years ago. So, if you are out digging for artifacts and are questioned by a conservation officer, just tell him that you are digging for night crawlers. If you tell him what you are actually doing, he might cuff you and haul you off to jail. If you want to know what can happen to you for trespassing and illegally looking for artifacts, just look up a guy named Jack Gerber from Tell City, if he is still alive, and he can fill you in.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    Elevated and well drained soils area near a good source of water is a good place to start. You guys that have access to the banks of the Ohio River will probably have the best luck in finding artifacts. There are many places where the river is eating inton the bank and exposing more artifacts every spring. Lots of trespassing going on as the result. Remember that it is against a State law to do anything more than just a surface reconnaissance without a permit even on your own property. To get such a permit, you have to be a qualified archaeologist who is on the list of qualified archaeologists maintained by the IDNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. You also need to submit a plan and justification for what you want to do. This law was our legislature's knew jerk reaction to something that happened down in Posey County many years ago. So, if you are out digging for artifacts and are questioned by a conservation officer, just tell him that you are digging for night crawlers. If you tell him what you are actually doing, he might cuff you and haul you off to jail. If you want to know what can happen to you for trespassing and illegally looking for artifacts, just look up a guy named Jack Gerber from Tell City, if he is still alive, and he can fill you in.

I believe you are referring to Art Gerber and Yes, he is still alive.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    i found a 1930's wheat head penny that washed up in some disturbed dirt in my yard :)

i havent metal detected the new yard yet but im expecting to find some neat things.
    I used to live in a house that was built in 1902, and I metal detected a shoe box full of the old cut nails they used when building the house. In some spots the nails had rusted into globs of iron, and in one place, they looked perfectly fine.

Top Bottom