Does anyone know how to do duct designs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had planned on replacing my a/c unit later this summer. As luck would have it, it is officially dead. I'm going to replace almost everything, the flex duct will stay. This is an attic install, but I don't think that makes a difference.

I need a duct layout. Every run is eight inch runs. I know that's not the best, but, quite frankly, I'm too fat to change them out.

So, anyone willing to give me a duct design?

D.B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Avon
    Is this going to be a spider system (all of your flex runs coming back to the furnace plentum) or a main trunk running through the attic feeding each run? How many cfm is the blower on the furnace? How many 8" runs? Keep in mind the supply trunk and or any ducts in the attic must be well insulated or the will sweat.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    This is not a simple matter of just providing a layout for ducts (not ducks as implied in a previous post :D). You have to account for the friction (pressure) loss through the duct so that the pressure loss is constant across the whole duct system. Not doing this can result in unequal air flows to the desired point of use.

Each room should be checked for adequate airflow by design and then the duct work designed & selected to ensure that air flow is provided where needed.

IIRC, the flex-duct has a much higher friction loss than the sheet metal duct has, which I has the tendency to dive up the diameter of the flex-duct.

Kirk, that's a nice looking duct! :laugh:

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    im in carroll county and do hvac for a living and have for the past 25 yrs....if you need help pm me and i can help you

Top Bottom