• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It does not matter for a pistol. I have a 1911 with more than 50,000 rounds through it. It is just as accurate as all of my newer, less shot, 1911's. It is, after all, typically a less than 25 yard weapon...A smooth bore would probably get the job done at that distance.

It is kind of important for a rifle though because of gas erosion in the throat. And the longer ranges that a rifle is expected to be deployed.

Actually for a rifle, I am more interested in muzzle damage from a steel cleaning rod. Improper cleaning has destroyed far more rifles than any amount of shooting.

Realistically, most hunting type rifles are shot very little. And if I want a match rifle, I won't be buying a castoff unless I re-barrel it anyway.

So, I guess I am saying it is a non-issue for me.

A non-issue and IMHO an silly question since you have no way of verifying what someone might tell you.
    Target below is from the same Nighthawk when it was NEW and over 4000 rounds and two years later, shot by the same guy off the same bench. This is a simple fact, I know because I was there:).
    Internet expert opinions are a dime a dozen, below is physical proof that in this case it made no difference.
    hawktargets.jpg

Top Bottom