• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    My dog has a callus on his leg (like many dogs do) where he lies down on it. Vet has seen it before and its fine.

I don't know if it got hit or scratched but this callus is now twice the size and red. He won't stop licking it. Given it a week to let it heal itself but its staying the same. Suggestions or do I need to bring him to the vet :spend:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm not one to run to the doctor or vet when a little common sense can fix the problem. A couple questions. Is your dog inside or outside? Has his appetite, energy level, bowels changed any? Does the wound look infected? Can you upload a picture to let us see how bad this spot is looking? Dogs lick wounds or irritated places just like we can't leave a hangnail alone, and you know how bad a hangnail can get when you pick on it.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    They lick their wounds because it releases endorphins that give them some type of "high" therefore he will not stop licking until something is done with the wound.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm not one to run to the doctor or vet when a little common sense can fix the problem. A couple questions. Is your dog inside or outside? Has his appetite, energy level, bowels changed any? Does the wound look infected? Can you upload a picture to let us see how bad this spot is looking? Dogs lick wounds or irritated places just like we can't leave a hangnail alone, and you know how bad a hangnail can get when you pick on it.

Good advice. I've had this issue with dogs in the past and the vet told me it was due to irritation from licking it. The more they lick it, the more it itches. They keep licking the same stupid spot until it's raw and open, and then lick it some more. Maybe you could find some way to cover the wound with a bandage of some sort so he can't get to it.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    It's probably a lick granuloma. Starts as a wound or allergy but turns into a compulsion to lick (it's a vicious cycle). If it's not open and/or bleeding cover at night and use bitter apple/no chew/or even vinegar to keep the dog from licking.

He doesn't sound prone to this behavior so once you break the cycle you should be good. Good luck.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    If it isn't infected or open, some bitter apple might do the trick. If infected, clean it and cone the dog's head.

Excersize the dog. That will usually resolve compulsive behavioral problem such as obsessive licking.

I had to take my GSD to the vet for a huge 'hot spot'. He had gnawed himself so badly overnight I couldn't believe it. I attributed it to a lack of focus on keeping him busy for a few weeks. With a little more effort on my end, we've never had another issue.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If it's growing he may be having water/liquid building up in it. Large breeds (not sure what kind of dog you have) sometimes will have to have them drained. It doesn't bother them but it will continure to grow.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    My dogs do that to one side of their legs. It "grows" cause mine constantly lay on the same side to the concrete, carpet, etc irritate it and it get bigger. Usually not quickly though. Its over the course of several months. In the winter, they get smaller. Just depends. If its open, it probably isnt a callace.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks been very busy and am catching up on INGO. Seems to be getting a bit smaller and healing. I'll snap a pic.

Top Bottom