• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, got a new dog this week. It's an 8-week old Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Like any puppy, he's very clingy and excitable. We just got our crate yesterday and set it up in the living room. Like any puppy, he howls and whines when put in it. Trying the entire positive re-enforcement thing, making him know it's a "happy" and "good" place to be...

Bleh.

Any tips on breaking him of the whining? I ignore him, as I've read that I should. Also trying to potty train him. Any help on this? He just does not like going outside... I stood out with him for three hours one night because he HAD to go, but he didn't. He just grabs the leash in his mouth and lays in the grass. Then, we bring him in... bam, he craps on the carpet.

So yeah, dog training tips/tricks/help would be awesome here :)

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    We covered the crate with a blanket, leaving the back side open (which was a couple inches from the wall) open for air purposes. This provided him the idea he should sleep. After a while we did away with the blanket. After a couple years he went there when we left on his own. It got to the point where he slept there at night door wide open, and most the time we never had to lock the door on it, because he would just stay there. The key is consistency.

-MColford

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ok, finally something I'm trained in!:D

Howling in the crate - does he have anything to do, chewie, kong, etc? If not, give him something to do. How many hours a day is he crated? At 8 weeks, the average pup can only hold it 3 hours before the bladder it screaming.

Potty training - schedule is the key here. Food and water until he gets it. If he doesn't go when you take him out for 20 -25 min, bring him in, crate for 10 to 20 min, and then try again. He gets no freedom until he goes and he doesn't get to play outside (with the leash) either. Also, make certain you are using an enzyme cleaner where he is going in the house. Otherwise the smell is still there (remember how good his nose is) and he'll go there again.

Another trick is to move a used puppy pad, towel, newspaper outside where you want him to go. You're giving him a "potty place". When he goes - you need to act like he won the lotto. Especially the first few times - he doesn't know good boy yet.

I have some "puppy basics" at home. I'll scan and send if you want. PM or email me and I'll help how I can.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Kitty's given the same advise I'd give. The potty pads outside is worth trying; using them inside made things harder for me. She'd get confused on going inside or out so it took a little longer. Once I got rid of those, she figured it out quickly.
    Dog's usually wont go potty where they sleep, so, assuming the kennel is the right size, Kitty's advise on putting him back in there is good.

To get her to like the kennel, I'd sneak treats in there when the pup wasn't around. 3-5 small treats just tossed in creates a good association with the kennel; this works for beds and stuff too.
    Where is the kennel? Sometimes being in the kennel, but in the same room (at night) is easier on them then being in the kennel in a different room. Got to remember that he was just taken away from mom not too long ago and is probably still a little afraid you'll ditch him.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been giving him treats as he goes in, but I'll start hiding some in there throughout the day.

Unfortunately, we live in an apartment, so I'm a bit iffy on doing the crate at night. The people below us did this, and it was impossible to sleep through. I don't want to be "those people".

We've been pretty good at interrupting him and catching him as he goes inside, and taking him straight outside. Granted, he's usually finished by then, and leaves nothing else to re-enforce with treats.

We're working on "Leave it!" when he's messing with something he shouldn't be. How do you re-enforce this positively? I sternly say "Leave it!" and remove the thing, or remove him from the thing. Do you give a treat then? That would seem confusing.

Trying "Potty!" as we take him outside. "Come!" isn't really working right now, but that one seems like it'd be easier to train.

We're using some woolite pet cleaner on the inside accidents, I think it removes the odor for the most part.

Right now the crate is in the living room, we just got it yesterday and put it there. This morning is his first time in it alone. I tried it last night a couple times while I was there.

Here's what his outside moments usually digress to:
    photo6.JPG

And here's him, just being him :P

photo5.JPG

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    A couple small things you could possibly change to get better results, treats. When you take him out, take treats. Good job equals rewards, love of them too especially at first. From what I remember reading, it isn't the size of the treat as much as the quantity. Break up what ever treats your using and instead of giving one, give several smaller bites of that same treat. Lots of love, affection, "good boy", and petting, along with treats for each and every good thing he does. Think of it like a child, you don't just say "hey that was a great job" to a toddler for their good actions, you really act it up and over emphasize how happy they've made you. Just like Kitty and others have said in above posts, do it up like he won the lottery. He wants to make you happy, it's their nature. Pleasing you makes him happy, and unless you really stress how happy you are with his behavior, he wont know it at first. If you take him out on a leash (and standing outside for three hours is way too long, it became leisure time in his mind) and he doesn't go potty, bring him back inside within 10 minutes but leave him on his leash. He'll realize that you aren't going to let him play inside unless he's finished what you wanted him to do outside (by leaving the leash on it will show him that he didn't accomplish what you wanted by taking him out on the leash). Dogs are largely food driven, most dog trainers will stress the use of treats. Let him see the treats, even seeing/smelling them in your hand prior to his good job, it'll let him know that he's got a reward waiting, now he just has to figure out what it is that you want him to do. It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen. Consistancy is paramount too. The below mentioned book helped me a lot in terms of learning how a dog thing, so that you can act/respond in a manner that they understand. It's like learning their currency, whats important to them, so that you can work with them on their level instead of your's. Also, one thing that I found worked amazingly well with our dog, was turning your back on them when they do bad. We don't hit our dog, we don't yell at her either. However, when she does something that we don't agree with (while she's looking at you for approval or disapproval (remember, the dog is trying to please you), turn around so he can see that your not happy with the behavior, ie you've turned your back on what ever action he just did. His good behavior gets treats, petting, and love, while the bad behavior gets your back. When you reward for good behavior, do so immediatly, especially at first. Same goes with punishment. Now, not 10 minutes later, not 2 minutes later, immediatly so they know exactly what they did to earn a reward. Also, if you walk into a room and there is a mess, has it been there for 2 mintues or 30? If it's been any lenght of time it's harder for them to understand why they're being repremanded. They don't easily understand (in a puppy's mind) as to why they walked up to you, you dragged them over to a pile of poo and scolded them. At a young age it's hard for them to make that connection. If this happened while our pup was young, we would just say "oh my, no-no" in a quiet yet and almost "how could this have ever happend" type of voice while shaking our heads. Our rottie would put her head down like she was feeling guilty. And while some will say that rubbing their nose in it works, it's also really unsanitary especially considering that same nose/mouth are going to be licking you again in the near future. Hope this helps some.

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Mind-Understanding-Behavior-Reference/dp/0876055137

Last edited:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I've been giving him treats as he goes in, but I'll start hiding some in there throughout the day.

If he's bored, try the Kong, put peanut butter inside and freeze. Even with my adults this will buy 2 to 3 hrs of complete quiet.

Unfortunately, we live in an apartment, so I'm a bit iffy on doing the crate at night. The people below us did this, and it was impossible to sleep through. I don't want to be "those people".

He can hurt himself and your apartment at night. Crate him. Hot water bottle, old fashioned alarm clock (the tick-tock kind) wrapped in a blanket, and/or a toy. If the crate is open, cover it for the night. Just make certain you get up to let him potty.

We've been pretty good at interrupting him and catching him as he goes inside, and taking him straight outside. Granted, he's usually finished by then, and leaves nothing else to re-enforce with treats.

Can you take the towel you clean up with outside and "scent mark" a spot? Could help.

We're working on "Leave it!" when he's messing with something he shouldn't be. How do you re-enforce this positively? I sternly say "Leave it!" and remove the thing, or remove him from the thing. Do you give a treat then? That would seem confusing. Don't remove the object until he turns his head (eve if it is to look at you). As soon as he looks or steps away, good boy, treat, and then remove. Gives him the idea. You can also "practice" by putting something on the floor next to you that he should touch. When he goes to sniff, say Leave it, and treat when he turns his head.

Trying "Potty!" as we take him outside. "Come!" isn't really working right now, but that one seems like it'd be easier to train.

We're using some woolite pet cleaner on the inside accidents, I think it removes the odor for the most part.

I think it has an enzyme eliminator.

Right now the crate is in the living room, we just got it yesterday and put it there. This morning is his first time in it alone. I tried it last night a couple times while I was there.

Keep working the basics. Don't be boring and be consistent. He'll get it.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    One other thing, especially while really young (8weeks is pretty young), don't over complicate the training as of yet. Work on one thing, then the next. Trying to train for all the commands may be too much for a young mind. Work on potty, then on drop it, then on sit, then on down, etc. Every time you start to teach him something new, revisit the old commands with rewards for each appropriate response. Actual training sessions for younger pups should be short and often. They'll start to lose interests after 15-20 minutes when they're young so training for 2 hrs is unproductive for both of you. Try to train away from other distractions at first, then work on making them keep focus with distractions. Begin training just you and him (your the alpha of the family and he needs to understand that). You're the one he wants to make happy first, then start having other family members work on the same training that you're doing at that particular time. Luckily you don't have a bully breed so him figuring out the pecking order won't be as much of an issue as it can be with some other dogs, but keep in mind that at some point, he will test his boundaries with other members in the family to see where he fits into the food chain. Consistancy in what you let him get away with (and what others let him get away with) will determine in his mind where he fits in. If your wife (or significant other) allows him to do things that you don't let him, he'll see this as him having contol over them instead of the other way around. Everyone needs to be on the same page especially during the next few months, bully breeds even longer.

Last edited:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Keep working the basics. Don't be boring and be consistent. He'll get it.

Absolutely. Consistency is king!

Also, I buy treats called "charlie bears" or the small dry treats from 3 dog bakery. They're already bite sized. I can always keep a handful in my pocket and it doesn't mess up my pants or leave oils like the soft treats do. But always have those with you.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Treat suggestion: hot dogs - cheap, quick, and can be cut up into tiny bits. Plus, as far as the dog is concerned they smell great.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heh. Right now I've been using some freeze-dried liver treat... he loves them. Trying to just use them as the "filet mignon" of treats when he does great things (like actually pee/poo outside). Otherwise, yeah, I need to get something else. Been using pieces of his dog food, which he does tend to like.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    yeah treats are how I got my dog to learn to go outside. I would always carry them in my pocket. I have a very high energy dog but he is also very smart.

Top Bottom