• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just like the title says who likes to tinker with guns?
    I ordered parts for -
    My Sig 226, had to change the safety lever
    My cousins remington, trigger guard and a rear sight ramp, and a savage #72 (had a trigger assembly thread earlier on this one, works great now)
    My brothers winchester needed a new rear sight(havent seen him yet to install).
    A couple of years ago My cousin gave me a J.C. Higgens .22 revolver that my dad gave him when he was 12 or so. (Had to rebuild it broken springs and stuff)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    With any hobby I try to learn to do any of my own repair/maintenance. Firearm wise, I have only installed a few cheap scopes and replaced the extractor on my Makarov. Oh, and I repaired the front site on my Sub2k. As time goes on, Im sure I will do more and more.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    i do but i have certain guns that are project guns and some that arnt

i just posted some pics of a bolt hold open mod i did on my ak this afternoon

also love building ar's didnt really save any money but i loved doing it

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I replace parts and build guns from pre-made parts but that is far from gunsmithing. Unless you can machine an obsolete part from stock steel and make it look and fit like the original you aren't a gunsmith.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't do any smithing because I don't have the ability to machine parts at home. I don't mind changing parts out or fitting parts and I like taking my guns apart. What fun is owning something if you can't take it apart and put it back together?

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I'm like most every one posting, I don't do the real gun smithing work (e.g. machining) but I'm not afraid to part swap.

In my opinion, everyone should be able to fully strip their gun(s). With the wealth of info available on the internet, it's really not that bad.

Reel Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Like most, I like to tinker. Been working for days on a firing pin for a C.J Hamilton given to me by grandpa about 55 years age (I am old). It is driving me nut trying to get to work, but love it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do a little work myself, like fitting an extended thumb safety to my RIA 1911 but that's about it. I'd love to do more and may look into gunsmithing classes in the future if any are available within a decent distance from Central Indiana. There's a great school in Pittsburgh, but I can't afford to move for a hobby.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    A dremel tool can be your friend if you take your time. With the right amount of patience just about any part needed can be made from scratch without the machine shop/tools coming into play....So far all I've really done is parts swap, polishing and minor modification/fitting to make parts fit where I want them. I made some minor mods to a mark 1 AK bayonet so that it would work on my WASR since I hate the way the newer ones look and won't ever need to use my bayo as a wire cutter....

Top Bottom