www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Buy a new faucet and part it out.

My 400 series frost proof wall hydrant was leaking from behind the knob when the water was on. So I knew I needed new seals, packing, etc. So I spent $30 at Lowes for a kit.

I get home to swap it out and I changed the seals, still leaking. WTF? I look closely at the stem and part of it appears to be crimped/flattened right behind the packing seal . And I assumed that it was the way it was designed. Then I looked close and the sides of the stem that are still rounded have what looks like hairline cracks. Maybe I ended up with minor freeze damage? Because it didnt leak for the first couple years. And the new faucet stem is perfectly round down the entire length.

So I had to go back and spend ANOTHER $37 for a new faucet to salvage a stem, because JUST the stem costs just as much after shipping. Plus I have to wait.

Yeah, you're gonna spend a few bucks more, but its better than spending double on what you should have the first time.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sounds like another example of rebuilding and servicing going the way of the dodo in favor of "buy a new one from China when it fails".

Yeah it's a pretty crummy feeling when you put in the effort to try to be responsible and fix the problem, and end up stuck spending more because you tried to do the right thing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh yeah, these are easy to rebuild too. But you dont get the stem in the rebuild kit, and those can break too apparently.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I'm counting my blessings that its just the stem and not the hydrant itself. So the fix will be about 5 minutes when I get a chance.

Because replacing the hydrant is a real PITA involving a drywall saw to get to it from the back.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Oh, and I'm counting my blessings that its just the stem and not the hydrant itself. So the fix will be about 5 minutes when I get a chance.

Because replacing the hydrant is a real PITA involving a drywall saw to get to it from the back.
    It’s not below the floor level? Or is it on a slab? Just curious. You often have some unique situations.. :). Good luck on your fix

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It’s not below the floor level? Or is it on a slab? Just curious. You often have some unique situations.. :). Good luck on your fix
    No. split level house. Lower level is 4' below grade. so that puts the hydrant at about eye level, behind the drywall in the bathroom. :rolleyes:

And the fix should be easy. Find a time to shut off the water, take the handle and retaining ring off, and rotate the knob a couple revolutions to open the valve. It will back completely out of the seat. Reverse the process. Ideally, it will take less than 5 minutes.

Top Bottom