Don't use your firearm to stop the music...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The guy responded by displaying his pistol and saying: "Oh, I wont call the police, next time I'll come back and level this place."

Did he have a bulldozer? :D

FWIW, a lot of people say a lot of things they don't mean. That's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

EDIT: Oh, wait, he displayed a gun!!

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    While of course I don't condone what the neighbor did, your friend may want to check out the local laws on noise.

'round here (I'm stationed in Utah ATM) it only takes one complaint and a guy could get a misdemeanor offense- 'disorderly conduct' for music that can be heard outside of his home.

Now say said friend has played a few times out in the garage, no big deal, but his neighbor could *just* hear it inside his home, but never complains. Then one day he's had a rough day at work and comes over and this is what happens.

Now as I said what the neighbor did wasn't right at all- but maybe your friend was in the wrong as well.

Perhaps the better thing to do (since I'm guessing your friend has played in the garage before, giving HIM a "pattern" of offenses) is to go to the neighbor's and talk to him about it before getting the cops involved.

Edit- and I mean AFTER things have cooled down. Not go over there immediately. Think- the next day or so.

That's just my opinion.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Not only can he tell him to GTFO, as in criminal tresspass, he also used the firearm to intimidate.

Sad story. I would definitely call LEO and get it on paper in the least.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Loud music is not a reason to threaten someone with a gun!!

The idiot that did that shouldnt own firearms at all!!!!

I would have called the Police right away!

Jimmy

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Ah. It was written as if he'd witnessed it (from my point of view).
    My bad.
    Carry on.

I was going to say that I was doing my Shawn Spencer impersonation (from the show "Psych"), but after reading the post, I can see how you got that impression. Yeah, he's in FW, I'm over by Warsaw ...every now and then we get together. Actually, he's filling in this weekend for our (band) drummer who'll be out of town.

In any event, I sent him an email with the information from the previous replies, though probably wont hear from him until Saturday, as he's in Michigan at the moment.

On the whole cops and noise ordinance thing: I've had occasion to discuss appropriate sound levels with the police before as I've been in bands for the better part of 30 years. It's usually not a big thing; they come and explain the complaint, and we either turn down or stop playing ...at bars and clubs, it's usually because a door or window was left open. Still, no one was ever threatened and everyone went on their merry way. I've never had anyone display any sort of aggression, and certainly not a weapon.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    While of course I don't condone what the neighbor did, your friend may want to check out the local laws on noise.

'round here (I'm stationed in Utah ATM) it only takes one complaint and a guy could get a misdemeanor offense- 'disorderly conduct' for music that can be heard outside of his home.

Now say said friend has played a few times out in the garage, no big deal, but his neighbor could *just* hear it inside his home, but never complains. Then one day he's had a rough day at work and comes over and this is what happens.

Now as I said what the neighbor did wasn't right at all- but maybe your friend was in the wrong as well.

Perhaps the better thing to do (since I'm guessing your friend has played in the garage before, giving HIM a "pattern" of offenses) is to go to the neighbor's and talk to him about it before getting the cops involved.

Edit- and I mean AFTER things have cooled down. Not go over there immediately. Think- the next day or so.

That's just my opinion.
    We are entitled to our opinions. But, why let the guy commit a felony by threatening OP's friend and his family's lives? Maybe he did violate a noise ordinance, who cares, call the cops about it. You don't go threatening someones life and intimidating with a weapon.
    Go talk to the neighbor? Uh, no. Then he calls the calls for your tresspassing and since you never filed a complaint you will be the guilty party.

Way to risky for me. Call the police. BTW, you aren't the dude's neighbor are you?

And why are you inside ATM? Do you get a good wireless signal in there or are you running coax?

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Talked to my Fort Wayne friend this evening. He did call the police, an officer came over and a report was filed. Friend also had the presence of mind to write down the model and make of the car the gunman was driving (didn't know that before) as well as a partial license number, and included the information in the report.

Additionally, he talked to both his next-door neighbors about the situation; partially to let them know what had happened, alert them to watch each others back for suspicious activity, and to see if their collective minds could figure out who the guy was. Apparently, they think it was a neighbor living past a wooded area about 800 feet away or so ...which makes me wonder how attenuated any "noise" would have been a that distance, through a wooded area.

The other thing that he mentioned in his conversation tonight, after I told him the first thing I was concerned about was for his family (yeah, and him too), was that his son often comes home from school and goes out to the garage to play the drums ...imagine a high-school aged kid home alone who gets shot for making too much noise. :dunno: So, yeah, probably wont be doing that for a while.

FWIW, elsewhere on INGO is a conversation about "reasonable force." Even if playing music was to be considered a felony (and, I'm sure there are people who would like it to be so), threatening another with a firearm would not be "reasonable force," as a reasonable person would not intervene in that manner ...just sayin'.

Thanks again for all the comments, insight, etc.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Good for your friend calling it in and having a report filled out. At least it's on the record now. I hope him and his family don't have anymore problems with this jackwagon.

Top Bottom