• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't want to take away from your point but there are also those who believe it's inevitable and they'd like to share their skills with like-minded folks and/or do what they can to stave off the disaster. Some people even believe we can avoid it entirely through education.

There are many who just want to show off but there are also many who want to help. Be careful you don't mix them.

Hence, my use of the word "some" in the sentence. However, I might further suggest that even those who want to teach by showing off their preps are not only naieve, but a bit myopic.

If my entire neighborhood knows I have five years' worth of food stored, exactly whose house is going to have the front door pounded in by hungry mothers and fathers demanding I share with them?

In other words, I question the wisdom of sharing your preps with the world, for education's (or any other) sake. It's the same reason I don't put gun company logos on the back of my trucks. All it takes is for the wrong person to see them and follow me home (I'll be honest, I'm not a super-spy, highly trained in countersurveillance. . .I live in the outskirts of a city and it would probably be quite easy for someone to surreptitiously trail me).

Once they find out where I live, all it takes is to wait for me to leave. They may not get all my guns, but I still don't want my house burgled. And, to return to the issue of this thread, that also goes for not broadcasting it to my neighborhood that I've got enough food for me and mine to last several months. That's because around about day 3, when their shelves are empty they'll suddenly remember that, hey. . .that Professor guy has food. . .HE HAS A CIVIC DUTY TO SHARE IT WITH ME!!!!!

Then, jackwagon and his dozen or so friends show up at my front door asking (then demanding) their fair share.

Yep . .ain't gonna happen.

The Professor

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Prepped for Y2K(2000). Contents: 1 Bucket w/ edible instant food. 1 snap lid tub with meds, creds, mixed ammo, empty duffle to fill if needed. 1 basic duffle for clothes, personal care stuff. basic tent/bags/cookwear/bushcraft tools. Water cases one shots.

Fast forward -2016: Multiply above by x 4. Due to weight, have decided to adjust ammo to use 50cal boxes/labeled to each round caliber. Approx 6 50 cal boxes. Vehicles are fueled at 1/2 tank to full. Have a small amount of US currency. Still like one shots water fits in bdu pockets, shorter profile.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hence, my use of the word "some" in the sentence. However, I might further suggest that even those who want to teach by showing off their preps are not only naieve, but a bit myopic.

If my entire neighborhood knows I have five years' worth of food stored, exactly whose house is going to have the front door pounded in by hungry mothers and fathers demanding I share with them?

In other words, I question the wisdom of sharing your preps with the world, for education's (or any other) sake. It's the same reason I don't put gun company logos on the back of my trucks. All it takes is for the wrong person to see them and follow me home (I'll be honest, I'm not a super-spy, highly trained in countersurveillance. . .I live in the outskirts of a city and it would probably be quite easy for someone to surreptitiously trail me).

Once they find out where I live, all it takes is to wait for me to leave. They may not get all my guns, but I still don't want my house burgled. And, to return to the issue of this thread, that also goes for not broadcasting it to my neighborhood that I've got enough food for me and mine to last several months. That's because around about day 3, when their shelves are empty they'll suddenly remember that, hey. . .that Professor guy has food. . .HE HAS A CIVIC DUTY TO SHARE IT WITH ME!!!!!

Then, jackwagon and his dozen or so friends show up at my front door asking (then demanding) their fair share.

Yep . .ain't gonna happen.

The Professor

They may be showing up at your door anyway.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I'm not ready at all. That said, I think the idea of a pending apocalypse is becoming super romanticized. Every man wishes to be free from "tptb" and all their taxes, the bill collectors, paying insurances and mortgages or rent...and the ordinary humdrum of everyday life. I think that's why shows like WD are so popular right now. Just the idea of becoming independent again, self sustaining, surviving enemy attacks, and defending and providing for your "people". Heck ya! Woot sounds like a blast!
    However, im afraid the reality side of this coin is going to bite alot of folks- prepared or not. That is if anything should ever happen on a massive scale, or even a Katrina sized event...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, if they don't like the "ordinary humdrum of everyday life", they're really going to hate the ordinary humdrum of trying to get food, water, and stay alive.. every day.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Well, if they don't like the "ordinary humdrum of everyday life", they're really going to hate the ordinary humdrum of trying to get food, water, and stay alive.. every day.

This is true, but I wasn't referring to the sheeple.
    I should've said I'm not materially or quite physically prepared in the event of an EOTW scenerio, but I'm doing what I can preparing myself mentally.

...and most importantly, spiritually.

Last edited:

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville

It's very possible. Chances are what will happen is that a group of the unprepared will form in the neighborhood, decide that they have the authority to confiscate and redistribute food, etc. and go to everyone's house to demand they surrender any foodstuffs they have. They'll probably try to form it around the existing Homeowner's Association infrastructure because they're already full of themselves with walking around with rulers and clipboards measuring the length of grass in everyone's lawn.

I'll show them my two cans of Ham and Beans and two cans of asparagus and then demand they share what they have with ME!

Well, to be honest, I have family in a rural location where the nearest neighbor is about a quarter mile away. If we're not already there by the time the HOA decides they must do something about their lack of preparedness, we should have left, already.

The Professor

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    After the first 10k rounds maybe they'd like to start a discussion instead of demanding...or they can have my beans and weenies when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

My guess is after the first 10k rounds they are just extra protein in the larder.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    After the first 10k rounds maybe they'd like to start a discussion instead of demanding...or they can have my beans and weenies when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

My guess is after the first 10k rounds they are just extra protein in the larder.

That's a nice, macho, testosteron-laden statement there, "Thor."

But have you really thought about how to deal with a situation like this?

Sure, you can go all Urban Commando on them, but while you're out front, maybe those thumps you're hearing are torches being tossed through your windows or on your roof. Perhaps one of your a**hole neighbors runs a line from his tank of anhydrous ammonia into your venting system (from the outside air conditioner or through a basement window).

We can sit here all day and throw around "what if's," but have you really thought the situation out? Your going all Rambo on them may have repercussions later, after Rule Of Law has reestablished itself. It's better to come up with an alternate plan now than try to work out an excuse while a Hairy-backed cellmate nick-named "Sweet Meat" is commenting on your sexy Scandinavian looks and blonde hair and just waiting for you to go to sleep.

The Professor

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I think a LOT of people don't think about this. I would bet like me, most of us have friends that don't have a water gun, in their home, let alone a real weapon. That guy you've been trying to convert, where do you think the first place he going want to hole up when society break down, and the police aren't responding to calls? Do you think he's going to knock on your door if you're not home, knowing you have more weapons and ammo than you can carry? Probably not.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I don't want to take away from your point but there are also those who believe it's inevitable and they'd like to share their skills with like-minded folks and/or do what they can to stave off the disaster. Some people even believe we can avoid it entirely through education.

There are many who just want to show off but there are also many who want to help. Be careful you don't mix them.

This

I don't think "doomsday" is inevitable. But I do think we have about 97% of the population ignorant of how dependent they are on a fragile electrical grid, a fragile transportation system, and a precariously fragile debt-based monetary system.

If you even influence a few people to get some food stored and defend themselves, that's a few less people out fighting in the food lines when an emergency comes, and that's better for all of us.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

$35,000 for a bunker that holds 80 really doesn't sound like much when you consider some people spend over $20K renovating a kitchen. That must just be the structure though. A generator to support that many people would cause $35K in itself, not to mention fuel storage.

Either that or this is a group of people that really don't know what they are doing. I hope he was kidding about "lawyers". What do you need a lawyer for during a SHTF?? Okay, maybe Guy Relford or some of the lawyers here but that's because of their other skills or whatever prepayment they provide, not their legal training.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The passing of Antonin Scalia at this time may be have pushed us significantly closer to doomsday.

yep, although even the "constitutional" justices did us a bad turn with the eminent domain case.

I find it interesting that this gathering took place not one of the comments of these guys made major news AFAIK. Alan Greenspan, Richard Fisher (former FOMC member and Dallas Fed president ) and Lawrence Lindsay (economic adviser for Bush).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfpEHwARhvc

They say things like:
    -our real debt, with unfunded liabilities is like Greece or Illinois

-if the FED doesn't raise rates, the market will, and that's the worst of the outcomes. Imagine the disruption in the marketplace.

-what is supposed to happen legally is completely politically unpalatable

-these excess reserves are like a tanker full of fuel. "ticking time bomb"

-it always ends this way (overly indebted societies end due to excess sovereign debt)

and one line that reflects my greatest concern
    -"It is not just a matter of numbers. It is a matter of political liberty because the government will not voluntarily let itself go out of business. It will use all of its powers in order to fund itself"

Now why doesn't a line like that make CNN or at least the presidential debate? What we cannot see coming is what the reaction of our government might be. We can only guess how many will encourage government abuse; certainly most of the Bernie Sanders supporters will. Think about the last time we had a Depression. Gold confiscation sounds like a small thing now. But then it was money. And yet Roosevelt managed to cast savers as hoarders of gold and enemies of the state. Where you live may matter the most. And I don't mean just living where you can grow food and defend your home; I mean what politics you are surrounded by. Indiana seems pretty darn intelligent sometimes when we compare ourselves to our neighbor to the west. But I'll bet my last dollar that the guys in our statehouse will side with Washington when they feel their power slipping away. I don't really have any intention of moving, but some days I think it would be more wise to live in a more solidly libertarian-minded state.

Top Bottom