• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What ever happened to the good old days when people who were fired or demoted just went home, got hammered, and started looking for a new job on Monday?:dunno:
    People are now raised in instant gratification and no consequences.
    Ok, not everyone is. Just seems like more and more.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe they should stop the no gun nonsense.
    Maybe if some idiot wants to kill himself, he should just do it without killing others first.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What ever happened to the good old days when people who were fired or demoted just went home, got hammered, and started looking for a new job on Monday?:dunno:

I don't know if things have changed all that much...maybe they have...maybe with umpteen news channels, instant news via the internet/social media, etc. we just hear about more of them. I've read one time, where men especially, define themselves by their careers, more so than women. I can imagine being a 50-something year old myself, that's worked for the same company my whole career, pretty much done the same line of work, that if I were to now get fired, it would devastate me. I don't think I would snap like that but who knows what other pressures this guy was facing on top of losing his job.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It has been reported that the perp didn't have a FOID card so my guess is that this one will probably blow over quickly in the Chi-town news cycle. He doesn't fit the 'crazy legal gun owner' profile. All McCarthy can do is try to blame Indiana's lax gun laws again, they can't tout that the recent IL carry law which was forced upon them is the cause.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

Back in the "good old days", people had at least 6 months to a years savings in the bank minimum. Today people buy everything they see and live check to check. They're so financially strung out, most are 1 to 2 paychecks away from being homeless. They live with no financial discipline. The slightest disruption in income, and they're headed for an immediate monetary train wreck. This guy probably had everything on the cuff, along with a ton of credit card debt, and a mortgage that would choke a horse. He most likely wasn't looking at any kind of retirement anytime soon.....If at all. Who knows, he very well may have been on the verge of offing himself as it was. This just pushed him over the edge.

People live within the bounds of financial insanity all the time today. I have several co workers my age who are like that. But in spite of it, when you talk to them they have it all figured out. Just ask them. Today it's not just the government that's on the verge of financial collapse.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Those days aren't quite gone forever.
    When I got fired, I went home, didn't get totally hammered, but did have a few, and set about finding a new job.
    Almost a year later, I found a job @ 1/3 the salary, and survived reasonably in the interim.
    Being fiscally conservative in your personal finances can really get you by in some tough times.
    On the other hand,while I was sad, I had absolutely no desire for revenge. I figured that I didn't want to be working for someone who didn't want me there.
    Perhaps I am a bit naive, but I have no clue why some folks react as in this story. In this particular case, it seems that this guy was actually fairly well treated during a downsizing campaign.(he wasn't fired.) That's not always the case.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Shooting was in the financial district, about 6 blocks from my office. Heard about the shooting on the radio. There were a few street closures downtown around the building on LaSalle street where the shooting took place. I took a day off yesterday to do work around the house, glad I wasn't around.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When I got fired, I went home, didn't get totally hammered, but did have a few, and set about finding a new job.
    Almost a year later, I found a job @ 1/3 the salary, and survived reasonably in the interim.
    Being fiscally conservative in your personal finances can really get you by in some tough times.
    On the other hand,while I was sad, I had absolutely no desire for revenge. I figured that I didn't want to be working for someone who didn't want me there.
    Perhaps I am a bit naive, but I have no clue why some folks react as in this story. In this particular case, it seems that this guy was actually fairly well treated during a downsizing campaign.(he wasn't fired.) That's not always the case.

Most people don't react to adversity by blaming others and trying to hurt people. This guy had serious issues, the proverbial ticking time bomb. I don't know how you could foresee that someone is capable of a crime like this, and even if you could, there's probably not much you could do about if they haven't done anything wrong up to that point.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I find it just as hard to understand why anyone would kill over a job, as kill over a relationship ending. Some people are just plain nuts.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This just in, the sky is blue.

EDIT: I figured at first it was just the usual Chicago gangland stuff, but after hearing the details this is a very unfortunate situation.

634D04C0-E4AE-43EC-970E-B2672B9AE8B4_zpsnulxpwba.png

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The poor poor impoverished people on the south side of Chicago are just innocent victims I'm sure. Even with all the free handouts I'm sure it's just coincidence they are still in poverty and must kill thy neighbor for thy flat screen tv or punch old women I the head for pure thrill. No no they're not animals they're good boys who just need a 20th chance and then I'm sure they will be president.

How many businessmen vs thug cowards had their been who shot and killed innocent people this year in Chicago? That's why people weren't concerned about who had done it!

Top Bottom