• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    The first three bullet points seem pretty non-controversial. The last point appears to primarily rule out shoulder holster and possibly purse draws. IWB/OWB and ankle carry all point the gun towards the ground near the shooter, minimizing the chance of sweeping anyone. This may not free things up as much as some would like, but I think it is a good change.

Did you get to hear any of the discussion of the rule change? Was the last point put in for the reason you suggested? I don't use a shoulder harness or purse so I'm just curious about it. Theoretically, someone could just get on their knees with a shoulder harness or purse and do it that way.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Did you get to hear any of the discussion of the rule change? Was the last point put in for the reason you suggested? I don't use a shoulder harness or purse so I'm just curious about it. Theoretically, someone could just get on their knees with a shoulder harness or purse and do it that way.

Drawing from a Holster:
    • Safely drawing from a holster and firing is allowed in the bays only.
    • Drawing from a holster on the main firing line is not permitted.
    • Safely drawing means that throughout the draw process, the muzzle is always pointed directly at the ground or into a berm.
    • Only holsters that hold the firearm in such a manner that the muzzle is pointed at the ground within one meter of the shooters feet are permitted.

There was a question about what that fourth point meant and I shared my interpretation. No one objected to that restriction at the meeting. The issue is that the gun is initially pointed backwards and those around you can get swept during the draw. This also violates bullet #3. Being on your knees doesn't change that. IWB/OWB and ankle draws don't have that problem and therefore are safer to practice in a semi-public area.

There was one member who was rather vocal about wanting to add baffles to the bays to prevent bullets from flying out of the range similar to what we have at the main range. That was discussed and the key objection was that there are no documented examples from other ranges of such a problem from the draw. The baffles are not getting added, though there is a possibility that it could come up again in the future. One point about having a baffle system in the bays would be that they would need to be a lot deeper (8? vs 2 on the main range) because there is no fixed firing line in the bays. Having baffles that work for 7-yard shots would not be very effective for those practicing from 25-yards.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Good rule change and I made use of this in December! I did read the noticeboard and website a couple of times to make sure I was compliant. Thanks to everyone who chased this through!

Top Bottom