• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Right now...I am dreaming about acquiring another handgun or three. My candidates are listed below. Part of my decision lies upon if my kids and my wife decide they want to start shooting with me. Plus I like the idea of having a .22 LR to shoot simply because it is so much cheaper to shoot.

Choice one: Ruger MKIII Hunter....this one would be for kids and wife (as well as for me) to shoot.

10118.jpg

Choice 2: Ruger Single Ten This one is a more indulgent choice......kids could shoot it as could wife...but I just love old wheel guns. First wheel gun I shot was my dad's Ruger Single Six. This one combines the best of the old with best of what is new.
    8100.jpg

Choice #3: S&W Model SW1911Sc This choice is a COMPLETELY self indulgent choice. I have been itching to get a 1911. And I do love my Smiths (MP owner). but when I saw this gun...my jaw dropped. And it is like my MP, in that it can be fully adapted for left hand use.
    108485_01_md.jpg

I haven't shot a 1911 before...but to date, I have YET to shoot anything I absolutely HATED. I have just found some I like far more than others. But firing any gun, is better than no gun. :)

Suggestions?

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i like that 1911...havnt shot one either, but got to hold my buddies colt, and the trigger pull and feel of the gun are just sooooo "right"

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have the same mark III without the fluted barrel it is a dream to shoot..

Right now...I am dreaming about acquiring another handgun or three. My candidates are listed below. Part of my decision lies upon if my kids and my wife decide they want to start shooting with me. Plus I like the idea of having a .22 LR to shoot simply because it is so much cheaper to shoot.

Choice one: Ruger MKIII Hunter....this one would be for kids and wife (as well as for me) to shoot.

10118.jpg

Choice 2: Ruger Single Ten This one is a more indulgent choice......kids could shoot it as could wife...but I just love old wheel guns. First wheel gun I shot was my dad's Ruger Single Six. This one combines the best of the old with best of what is new.
    8100.jpg

Choice #3: S&W Model SW1911Sc This choice is a COMPLETELY self indulgent choice. I have been itching to get a 1911. And I do love my Smiths (MP owner). but when I saw this gun...my jaw dropped. And it is like my MP, in that it can be fully adapted for left hand use.
    108485_01_md.jpg

I haven't shot a 1911 before...but to date, I have YET to shoot anything I absolutely HATED. I have just found some I like far more than others. But firing any gun, is better than no gun. :)

Suggestions?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have the same mark III without the fluted barrel it is a dream to shoot..

I shoot one a lot at the range.....they have a rental one. And you can drive tacks with one, that is how accurate they are. My only gripe is how hard they are to tear down (had an old MK II). If I get one..am putting the Majestic kit on it.

My one gripe is that they are not lefty friendly.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have two words for the Smith's...
    External extractor.
    They work fine on the smiths and I don't believe them to be a mechanical problem BUT...
    It is not the design that JMB was handed down from on high.
    So, despite their undeniable beauty, no 1911 Smiths for me. :twocents:
    If I were going to spend that kind of cash it would be on a Dan Wesson CBob.
    They are very droolworthy.

It's a toss up between the .22's.
    Either one is a great choice IMHO.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    didn't read the whole OP....my fault!!

As for the .22s, I tried a few and went with a buckmark over the Ruger.

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I have a Single Six, A MKIII 22/45 and a little experience with 1911s. That one pictured looks awesome! I love 1911's with the chopped grip. I'm a huge wheelgun fan and would love a single-ten! but for the money, the MKIII is better and possibly even more fun! As said they are crazy accurate. Just don't ever try to tear it down!

Have you looked at all the new .22 1911's? Browning has one in 85% scale so it'd fit wife/kid hands very well and be a blast for you! Many other makers have started producing inexpensive 1911 22's, might be worth looking into in your case!

Don't wonder if the family is going to get into shooting! Get them into shooting!!! Show them how much fun it can be!

also, i'm going to guess that Rob didn't read the OP...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a Single Six, A MKIII 22/45 and a little experience with 1911s. That one pictured looks awesome! I love 1911's with the chopped grip. I'm a huge wheelgun fan and would love a single-ten! but for the money, the MKIII is better and possibly even more fun! As said they are crazy accurate. Just don't ever try to tear it down!

Have you looked at all the new .22 1911's? Browning has one in 85% scale so it'd fit wife/kid hands very well and be a blast for you! Many other makers have started producing inexpensive 1911 22's, might be worth looking into in your case!

Don't wonder if the family is going to get into shooting! Get them into shooting!!! Show them how much fun it can be!

also, i'm going to guess that Rob didn't read the OP...

I thought about a .22 1911...but naw...if i get one..it's going to be in 45.

don't sell the single 10 short on accuracy either. Review I read had it placing CCI Mini mags within .8 of an inch of one another (grouping of 10) at 25 yards from a bench rest. And I love the idea of a 10 shooter ;)

My only gripe about the MK III's is that they are not left hand friendly. I wish they were. Smith has done it right with their MP's and some of the 1911's...with the controls either on both sides, or are easily reversible. But i do love the looks of the MK III hunter. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    For target shooting, and especially getting the family into it, definitely the .22. I'd go with the MkIII myself, but I'm just an auto guy. Don't worry, you don't have to take it all the way apart every time, and it'll ease up after a while. I have a MkI I can strip and reassemble in a couple of minutes. Now, to actually do something, like protect your family, you're going to need a real caliber. I EDC .45 in a doublestack compact 1911. You're probably going to have to acknowledge that you're going to need more than one.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I know it isnt one of your choices, but for the money I would go with the walther p22. Once you break it in, they are a blast. My wife will shoot a 333 box of shells out of mine everytime we go to the range. You can pick them up for around $320. Aand they are easy to strip and clean.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    That smith 1911 is a Very nice gun my buddy just got one and it is very accurate and beatiful too!

Top Bottom