• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That would depend on the finish. Poly became the standard in the 1960-1070's because of the sealing properties and the high gloss finish. Those should need nothing. See wax below.

Oil bases I have tung oiled or linseed oiled but those can and do darken the wood often. If the wood is dark already it will not hurt.

Wife had some Amish branded wood preserve formula that really brings out the grain. I have no idea what is in it. It was free to her and I used it. I think it contains a liquid version of below.

Mostly I have used plain old mother 05500 car wax. Seals protects and shines without change of the base finish. You can remove the wax easy enough also.

If the 22 are users and not collectors then anything goes from a total refinish to a good old rattle can spray paint job. I have a Marlin 22 mag bolt action that has become the winter weather rifle of choice after a white paint job head to toe for snowy days. I got that rifle for a song because it got paint dots on it from being in the area of a house repaint.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    If the wood appears to have no finish and they are 50 years old or older I would use tung oil applied sparingly, several coats worth. That will seal the wood and protect it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’m a fan of boiled linseed oil It feeds and seals wood. I have a 1o47 Ithaca 37 20 ga that my son uses for bird hunting. We always hot it with a few coats of BLO right before and right after bird season.
    Also, a good coat of Ballistol does good too.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Not really the finish that dry. Heck I don't think there's much finish left, more the wood is dry
    Renaissance Wax and Gun stock polish is what I use to touch up my stocks that show some drying out issues. If you get it on the checkered areas, use a soft toothbrush and it will buff it out nicely. Has work great for me.

I've haven't used it yet but a buddy suggested Kiwi Staining Wax (for shoes) will work great on stocks that have lost their entire finish. Have seen the end result and it really worked for him. Enhanced the color and grain nicely and put a very nice shine on it. There's a few colors to chose from.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    If the wood appears to have no finish and they are 50 years old or older I would use tung oil applied sparingly, several coats worth. That will seal the wood and protect it.
    Tung oil takes a long time to “dry” . Boiled linseed oil does not stay tacky for life. You can sand them clean and the apply Birchwood Casey True Oil. Has been my choice for several “restorations”.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022

I agree with the tung oil. I've used it on a couple of older military rifles with pretty good results. Multiple layers with buffing in between each layer.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Thanks for the replies
    To update the thread, it appears most of it was just dried on dust and dirt. A good wipe down with a damp rag and some Murphy's and they look pretty good

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Big fan of BLO here. I slather that stuff on everything and I've never been upset. Ive also thinned it out a bit before and used it. I just used a splash of thinner.

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Another +1 to BLO and Tung Oil. BLO is my go to for working guns, Tung Oil for the more looker guns. Although BLO on a K98 stock that has been Russian captured and the shellac removed just looks gorgeous.

Top Bottom