• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Back in JUN 2011 this same topic was posted here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...058-driving_to_florida_and_back_while_cc.html

except it only pertain to carrying a handgun.

The original question was:

Having an IN LTCH can I carry my handgun while driving from IN -> KY -> TN -> GA to FL.

For this post the question is:
    Having an IN LTCH can I carry my handgun while driving from IN -> KY -> TN -> GA to FL. What about taking a long gun in the vehicle as well?

Here is the summary I came up with provided you have an IN LTCH.
    Handgun OK to carry OC/CC in IN, KY, TN and GA.
    Handgun OK to carry CC ONLY in FL.
    Long gun OK to have loaded in vehcile in IN, GA, and FL.
    Long gun OK to have UNLOADED in vehicle in TN

So you can OC/CC your handgun from IN -> KY -> TN -> GA and then CC into FL.
    For the long gun take it unloaded in a case with loaded magazines in another case in your vehicle and you will be OK in all those states.
    Here is the state by state breakdown.

Kentucky
    • IN LTCH accepted as permit to CC handgun. No permit needed to OC handgun or for long guns.
    • Loaded firearm can be inside the vehicle in plain sight or concealed if person has permit.
    • “Gun-Free Zones”: Same as Indiana PLUS hospitals
    • Ok to go into restaurant that serves alcohol just stay out of bar area
    • “No Gun Signs” have force of law? NO
    --SOURCES--
    Kentucky
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/KYSL.pdf
    Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf
    Tennessee

• IN LTCH accepted as permit to OC/CC firearm.
    • UNLOADED long gun inside the vehicle in plain sight or concealed if person has permit. [Loaded magazine is OK but separate from long gun]
    • “Gun-Free Zones”: Same as Indiana PLUS “No Gun Sign” places
    • “No Gun Signs” have force of law? YES!
    --SOURCES—
    Tennessee
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/TNSL.pdf
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf
    Georgia

• IN LTCH accepted as permit to OC/CC firearm.
    • Loaded firearm can be inside vehicle (your own) in plain sight or concealed.
    • “Gun-Free Zones”: Same as Indiana
    --SOURCES—
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/GASL.pdf
    What are the Gun Laws in Georgia?
    Florida

• IN LTCH accepted as permit to CC firearm. NO OC allowed.
    • Firearm in vehicle must be in secured encasement (ie. unlocked gun case OK) unless concealed on person with a permit
    • “Gun-Free Zones”: Same as Indiana
    --SOURCES—
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2000->Ch0790->Section 053 : Online Sunshine

-----
    Comments, Thoughts, did I miss something, did I get something wrong?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Make it simple, go unarmed. The gov (state and local) will protect you. Based on what I saw ... there should be a state trooper at every mile marker anyway.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Make it simple, go unarmed. The gov (state and local) will protect you. Based on what I saw ... there should be a state trooper at every mile marker anyway.

suicide-1.gif

This is a firearm's fourm silly rabbit!

Plus what if the EMP goes off while you are on your way to see the Mouse and are now stuck in say KY and have to try and make your way back? Want to get have a handgun? ;)

Besides you went armed so why can't others. Man what an elists!
    snob2.jpg

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    You didn't miss a thing. CC your handgun, unload your long gun and you're good to go all the way to Key West without worries. Have a safe trip! :rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hah I think he was kidding.

Yes WD was kidding and since he failed to use purple I wrote what I wrote back to him. We go back n forth kidding each other often on these forums. Plus he was suppose to find out the laws on the long guns for his trip to FL but alas he got lazy and did NOT so instead he just CCed from IN to FL and back. Thus I had to go do the work for him. :D

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Yes WD was kidding and since he failed to use purple I wrote what I wrote back to him. We go back n forth kidding each other often on these forums. Plus he was suppose to find out the laws on the long guns for his trip to FL but alas he got lazy and did NOT so instead he just CCed from IN to FL and back. Thus I had to go do the work for him. :D

I keep forgetting the purple, sorry.

I decided to leave the long gun at home for one simple reason. Due to the nature of my trip, any long gun that would accompany me would be spending long periods of time out of my direct control ... hotel room, trunk of car parked in less than secure area (similar to areas north of Rt30 and unlike the utopian, crime free paradise south of Rt30 known as St. John.) for long periods of time, etc. Besides, we had GLOCKs and everyone knows that one GLOCK is worth a gross of rifles.

*I would like to thank Jediagh for providing me the opportunity to use purple and embrace my inner snob.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I keep forgetting the purple, sorry.

I decided to leave the long gun at home for one simple reason. Due to the nature of my trip, any long gun that would accompany me would be spending long periods of time out of my direct control ... hotel room, trunk of car parked in less than secure area (similar to areas north of Rt30 and unlike the utopian, crime free paradise south of Rt30 known as St. John.) for long periods of time, etc. Besides, we had GLOCKs and everyone knows that one GLOCK is worth a gross of rifles.

*I would like to thank Jediagh for providing me the opportunity to use purple and embrace my inner snob.

So you did not go see the mouse then. :) That is the only draw back to taking the long gun is that it's really going to be out of sight for long periods of time since you are not carrying it or hunting with it. :cool:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    So you did not go see the mouse then. :) That is the only draw back to taking the long gun is that it's really going to be out of sight for long periods of time since you are not carrying it or hunting with it. :cool:

Naw ... we don't do the mouse. Besides, it was an in-out trip. No leisure.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :hijack:
    Here is something I found interesting...

Dear Phil,
    Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.
    It may interest you to know we have a strict policy regarding firearms.
    Our policy is that no guns are permitted in our theme Parks or Resorts.
    If a resort guest brings one on property, it must be locked up in the safe deposit boxes at the front desk, not in a room safe. If guests visiting our theme parks bring in firearms, it must either be left in their vehicle, or checked in with security when entering the park. Only on-duty law enforcement officers whose agency has jurisdiction at the Walt Disney World Resort may carry any weapon.
    If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.
    Sincerely,
    — Betsy Mayer, WDW Online Communications

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/cc...d-carry-policies/comment-page-1/#comment-3360

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Have fun on your trip. Too bad Mickey doesn't share your love of firearms.

I've taken handguns and long guns to Florida without issues, and also to South Carolina. Onlything about going to SC was that I could not carry my handgun as they don't have reciprocity with other state's LTCH's.

One thing to watch out for...if you leave your long gun in your vehicle, make sure to wipe it down before you leave with a good dose of oil. I found this upon returning from SC for a week (I never did take the rifle out of the case, as I didn't end up going to a rifle range). The warm salty air, and the daily temperature swings can form condensation from the high humidity.

rustyar.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Have fun on your trip. Too bad Mickey doesn't share your love of firearms.

I've taken handguns and long guns to Florida without issues, and also to South Carolina. Onlything about going to SC was that I could not carry my handgun as they don't have reciprocity with other state's LTCH's.

One thing to watch out for...if you leave your long gun in your vehicle, make sure to wipe it down before you leave with a good dose of oil. I found this upon returning from SC for a week (I never did take the rifle out of the case, as I didn't end up going to a rifle range). The warm salty air, and the daily temperature swings can form condensation from the high humidity.

rustyar.jpg

Ouch! Did you just leave the rifle inside a case (no gun sock) on it?
    I'm not sure if I will take the AK. WD said it best may not be worth it being as it would be out of my sight for way too long. Now my handgun me thinks it will go. Have not fully decided yet.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yep, the rifle sat for a week in a Bull-dog case locked in the truck, and never even saw the light of day until I got back. I was shocked! Good news is that a little oil and a gun cloth and it was fine. Luckily it was all surface rust and didn't do any permanent damage.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    B
    Tennessee

--SOURCES—
    Tennessee
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/TNSL.pdf
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

-----
    Comments, Thoughts, did I miss something, did I get something wrong?

I see the law in TN was amended regarding restaurants, but not sure where it says to stay out of the bar area

(I do see where your reference handgunlaw.us "recommends" that you not sit in the bar area: "Handgunlaw.us recommends you not sit at the Bar or in the Bar area of such restaurants. In some states it is illegal to be in the Bar area of such restaurants" and in that may keep you out of trouble all together, but it still appears to be a "recommendation" and not the law?)

TCA 39-17-1305 - Amended by 2009 Public Chapter 339 - Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served.

Here's the amendment (pretty cool that it shows the Governor's veto and the overrule by the state legislature in the PDF):

http://www.tn.gov/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0339.pdf

And an excerpt:
    "SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1305(c), is amended
    by adding the following language as a new, appropriately designated subdivision:
    (3)
    (A) Authorized to carry a firearm under § 39-17-1351 who is not
    consuming beer, wine or any alcoholic beverage, and is within the
    confines of a restaurant that is open to the public and serves alcoholic
    beverages, wine or beer.
    (B) As used in this subdivision (c)(3), “restaurant” means any
    public place kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public
    as a place where meals are served and where meals are actually and
    regularly served, such place being provided with adequate and sanitary
    kitchen and dining room equipment, having employed therein a sufficient
    number and kind of employees to prepare, cook and serve suitable food
    for its guests. At least one (1) meal per day shall be served at least five
    (5) days a week, with the exception of holidays, vacations and periods of
    redecorating, and the serving of such meals shall be the principal
    business conducted.
    SECTION 2. This act shall take effect on June 1, 2009, the public welfare"
    I noticed this one as I had seen a sign in a restaurant the last time I was in TN that indicated it was not lawful to carry in a restaurant that served alcohol, so I'm glad to see its been amended, but wanted to get the exact wording.

I previously spent a fair amount of time in TN as my folks lived there up until this week for the last several years, however they just moved, so it is not a huge concern as I won't be spending much time there now except passing through...

I'm really just interested in how they would word the part about staying out of the "bar area" if in fact that is the requirement. That could be a bit interesting to define.

Last edited:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    hey JB what r the actuaol laws about pistols in SC??? i understand u cant carry in SC due to reciprocacey laws but im allowed to drive with it locked up and ammo locked up right. i wana carry more when i go outa town than i di when i stay local.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    hey JB what r the actuaol laws about pistols in SC??? i understand u cant carry in SC due to reciprocacey laws but im allowed to drive with it locked up and ammo locked up right. i wana carry more when i go outa town than i di when i stay local.

From what I've been able to find from studying the laws is that an IN LTCH holder cannot legally carry on their person in SC. You can have the gun locked in the center consol (I don't recall any clause requiring it to be unloaded like in some states), and have it in the place you are staying. You can of course transport it to and from the vehicle.

From SC Code:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions

-snip-

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.
    Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.

Full info:

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP#1

Top Bottom