• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok, so my wife and I have decided to travel to Canada ( not now, but the next year or so) Our plan is to drive to Michigan, and take day trips into Canada, as a die hard INGO member, and gun owner, I'm thinking of getting a hotel room, keeping any prohibited items in a safe ( not the best solution, but the most do-able) What say you INGO? Don't really want to fly to Canuckia, I prefer to drive...Detroit is about a 6 hour drive from home....Anyone with experience with this, here?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Never been but I would imagine at that port of entry doing it daily would become tiresome quickly. I would go to an area with a less traveled crossing. But I suppose it depends what you want to do in Canada.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Have not Been for Several .The last time we went through Detroit @ the Ambassader bridge and it went trouble free.
    And your already on it NO Handguns OR auto open knives. into Canada .
    And do yourself a Favor Be aware what and what amounts you can bring back .

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    If I was going to cross I would NOT do it in Detroit. Been through that city one time and will never ever nope not going again! Detroit made the east side look classy.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Me and my brother took a day trip up to Windsor shortly after Christmas. DD is right, you don’t really see much of Detroit before crossing into Canada. We took the tunnel over to Windsor and then the bridge coming back. Make sure you have your passports with you.

I was surprised we were in Canada in less that 4 hours. I live in East Central Indiana.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I would recommend basing yourself out of Sault Ste Marie. The border crossing is a low traffic crossing and there is a lot to see and do on both sides of the border. I know my wife and I could easily spend a couple of weeks touring around in both Canada and the UP. It is a longer drive, but the natural beauty in that area is endless.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Me and my brother took a day trip up to Windsor shortly after Christmas. DD is right, you don’t really see much of Detroit before crossing into Canada. We took the tunnel over to Windsor and then the bridge coming back. Make sure you have your passports with you.

I was surprised we were in Canada in less that 4 hours. I live in East Central Indiana.
    Did/Do they make you show proof of covid Vacination ?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you're anything like me, do yourself a favor and thoroughly go through your vehicle before you attempt to cross the border. Last time I went up for a fishing trip we had a last minute change of plans as far as vehicles we were taking and we ended up taking my truck. It never occurred to me to go through it before we left and I paid a substantial fine and was danger close to going to jail for a couple of pistol magazines loaded with defensive ammo I didn't realize were in the truck. I thought for sure they would deny me access after the four hour search/ custodial interrogation but they allowed me to continue on with the trip.

Big lesson learned.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you're anything like me, do yourself a favor and thoroughly go through your vehicle before you attempt to cross the border. Last time I went up for a fishing trip we had a last minute change of plans as far as vehicles we were taking and we ended up taking my truck. It never occurred to me to go through it before we left and I paid a substantial fine and was danger close to going to jail for a couple of pistol magazines loaded with defensive ammo I didn't realize were in the truck. I thought for sure they would deny me access after the four hour search/ custodial interrogation but they allowed me to continue on with the trip.

Big lesson learned.
    Probably a GREAT idea for most of us here.
    vehicle, AND any bags/baggage being brought

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Stop at the Duty Free shop on the way back to the US. Some bargains there. I bought Crown Royal for $17/liter. There is a limit on how much you can bring back, either 2 or 3 bottles I don't remember.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Stop at the Duty Free shop on the way back to the US. Some bargains there. I bought Crown Royal for $17/liter. There is a limit on how much you can bring back, either 2 or 3 bottles I don't remember.
    Don’t forget to grab a couple boxes of Cubans

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    BUT... the question is.. I don't want to drive all that way without a firearm, what would y'all do with a weapon? Hotel? safety deposit box, bus station? Maybe stop at Hoosierdoods house?

Top Bottom