• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Drive or take a train if there are no time constraints. If I could spend all my travels on a train it would be awesome. Think off all the negative interactions you have on an airplane, it is the opposite on a train almost everyone is friendly except those TSA agents have been moving into that sector now.

sloaba01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would probably drive. Like you said you would get several breaks on the way and once you get there, you would have a vehicle. DC has public transportation, but having a car always helps. If you drove, you wouldn't have to rent a vehicle.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For more than one person, drive. If you are worried about parking being expensive / hard to find in town, find the closest park and ride station to your hotel and take the train in. Get a day or week pass for the train, and you're still going cheaper and easier than plane/taxi.

JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    Bet I am not alone

For me I enjoy driving until some jack ass sets me off, which by the way, usually only take a few minutes after leaving my driveway.. Then the entire trip I wished I had flown.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    For me I enjoy driving until some jack ass sets me off, which by the way, usually only take a few minutes after leaving my driveway.. Then the entire trip I wished I had flown.

better than the overweight bearded woman giving you a prostate exam in the name of national security

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    The drive to DC is not a bad drive at all and you don't have to go through airport security. If you are going to be a few days there you can also visit Baltimore and of course Arlington. Then if you want to experience a real drive take US 50 out of Arlington it is 2 lanes, twisty and steep in places and runs al the way back to southern Indiana.
    It does turn your 12 hour drive into 20 though.

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    The main factor for me is if it is a direct flight or if I have to connect somewhere. That adds a considerable amount of time. The screening at airports isn't bad in my opinion and I have never had a serious problem with it. That depends on which airport you go to. I can bet that D.C. may be a bit hectic on security. Then again I have been through Atlanta and O'Hare with no problems. Since it is only an hour and a half flight. I am willing to stand in line for a half hour at security to save 8 hours of travel. Usually if it is over 12 hours of driving for me, I consider flying.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    yup

I'd drive. It's a solid 12 to DC if you stay anywhere close to the speed limit. Definitely take the PA turnpike. I64 is pretty but will take a sizable amount longer. I drive since they won't let me drive the plane. I don't trust anybody else that far off the ground.:D

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Find something in between your destination you both like and make a pit stop and that will break up the trip. I fly often for my day job and not really interested in flying for vacation. The wife and I wanted to visit our son in Houston last year. I told her we were either driving, horse back or bicycle. Absolutely no flying.It was her choice and she chose driving. 19hrs, 3 tanks of gas and we got to see a fair amount of our country. Watched my wife's white knuckling the steering wheel as we crossed over the Mississippi river as she was freaked out over the height of the bridge. LOL..

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Find something in between your destination you both like and make a pit stop and that will break up the trip. I fly often for my day job and not really interested in flying for vacation. The wife and I wanted to visit our son in Houston last year. I told her we were either driving, horse back or bicycle. Absolutely no flying.It was her choice and she chose driving. 19hrs, 3 tanks of gas and we got to see a fair amount of our country. Watched my wife's white knuckling the steering wheel as we crossed over the Mississippi river as she was freaked out over the height of the bridge. LOL..

Last time I crossed it I was white knuckling it because of how close the water was to the bridge.

Top Bottom