• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When selling a firearm I as a responsible gun owner will want to be diligent.

According to current law a person must be a citizen or legal alien resident of the state, 18 years of age to buy a rifle or 21 to buy a hand gun, not a felon and not adjuticated mentally deficient.

So how do I know that I am doing the right thing?

If when I meet someone what ID is reasonable to require. What questions are reasonable. If you don't feel good about the person do you refuse to sell. Have any of you ever had a sale that you refused to do.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    You can be 18 and buy a handgun private sale. Perfectly legal in IN.
    I prefer to see a IN DL and a LTCH if I am making a sale. Some people disagree and say just ask and if they answer sell it. That is up to you.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    in indiana, someone who is 18 can buy a handgun in a personal sale.fyi.

the standard is, did the seller have reason to believe the sale was illegal?

proof of an IN DL seems to be good enough. If for example, someone uses a fake IN DL, that's on them not you unless the ID was obviously fake.

however, IANAL etc

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've never refused a sale to an INGOer. I know there're a few goofballs on here, but those few that I've ran into have been good guys and gave me no "red flag" vibes.

That said, there have been a few fellahs at work that I've just said I couldn't help them find the item of their desire, or the occasional item I had was no longer available. Not that I thought they were felons or otherwise "improper persons", just didn't think they were responsible enough to be walking around with a weapon that I sold them. You know, goofballs.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thank all of you for your input this is exactly what I was looking for. I don't sell firearms either.

This wa actually just a way to make the point that responsible gun owners do their due diligence and there is no need to instate UBC's

Top Bottom