• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LiveForCaffeine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    For what its worth, I've got an older .40 steel frame Witness that I've had for years (bought it used). Its seen a lot of use since I got it and been a decent gun for the price. The only problem I've had with it were the rear sights coming loose. They're a press fit, not hard to replace.

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    A EAA Witness in .45 was my first pistol. Around 2-300 rounds I noticed the slide had cracked to the rear of the ejection port. Sent it in and got back a pretty crappy looking slide with new adjustable sights at no cost to me. Within 100 rounds the slide begain to crack in the very same spot. I got rid of it and bought a 1911 and haven't looked back.

My advice is if you are thinking about an EAA just go with a CZ instead which I have 2 of and are great guns. If you can't live without the EAA, maybe stick with a smaller caliber.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Get a post 2005 model if possible.

They are the large frames that will be adaptable to all standard caliber conversion kits (10mm and 38 super) and have more steel in slide and frame. Heavier, yes. But obviously stronger, too.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    There is nothing wrong with the EEA Witness. Yes, they had a problem with slides cracking but have rectify that situation. I had the Witness in 10mm and loved it but I traded it for a Ruger Sr9. I suggest checking out EAA SARARMS (Sarsilmaz) guns which are made in Turkey where as the Witness is made in Italy. The Turkey military and police carry the SARS series guns. I carry the SAR K2P 9mm.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am very interested in getting some Turkish steel pistols.

Price is awesome on most all of them. Caniks, Sarsilmaz, Tisas... The only one that looks overpriced is the AR-24 series, and they aren't too overpriced, just higher probably because "Armalite".

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Maybe This Helps

Here goes one of those replys from some one who doesn't own one.
    I do have friends who have one, good gun. It is a good gun unless you
    need repairs, then you have one big pain.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    why are repairs a problem?

They are Italian made, but the problem was the importer, EAA. Very well known and widespread bad customer service. Do a google search "eaa customer service" and you'll see.

That may have been improved. Many of the stories are pretty old, but when the damage is done, it do
    es stick for awhile.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've been using the same full-sized "Wonderfinish" Witness 9x19 since 1996. I bought it used in LNIB condition from Bradi's. I was curious too see what all of the hoopla surrounding the CZ 75 design was about and 'real' CZs weren't as yet being imported.

Short version: It's gone through something on the close order of 9,700+ rds. without anything breaking or wearing out. It feeds, fires and ejects every 9x19 ammo I've tried in it flawlessly. It fits my hand perfectly and feels right at home there. That "Wonderfinish" is some really tough stuff, whatever it is. It shot to POA for me at 25 M with standard pressure 115 gr. loads right outta the box. All it's ever needed besides ammo and cleaning has been a routine spring replacement at about 4,500-5,000 rds. I've got another set from Wolff ready and waiting, if and when. It might just be the best deal that I've ever gotten for my money in a used handgun.

What else can I say? Would I buy another? You betcha, Red Ryder!

Top Bottom