• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    My Ruger Mark II jams. It doesn't like Remington brass ammo. It does like Federal bulk ammo. It hates CCI.

The jam I am getting is the rounds feed halfway into the chamber and stop. The bolt stays halfway open. The round can be forced into the chamber with a stiff slap on the back of the bolt.

It ejects great. It doesn't get caught on the feed ramp. It is just that many rounds get stuck halfway into the chamber.

Any suggestions. Oh, it is a slabside government model SS with an AAC prodigy supressor. It is as clean as anything can be. It is lubed.

Anyone know what I need???

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    First off, welcome to the forum. There's a lot of folks here more knowledgable than myself, but, if you haven't tried changing magazines, that would be a my suggestion for a good place to start.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    :welcome:
    And I agree with the previous post.
    The mag is likely the problem.
    I have Mark I, II, and III Rugers and have never had a failure to function.:dunno:
    Mike

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    My SS slab side hates Remington green box as well. Same problem as you. My solution..... Shoot federal red box bulk. I have since bought another MKII but haven't tried it with both rounds yet.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have gotten rid of all of my Remington rimfire ammo. It caused more feeding problems in my firearms than it was worth. I have been running federal bulk for some time now with very few problems. The occasional FTF, but that is to be expected with rimfire ammo every now and then.

The remington's lead nose is much softer than the federal or others, which seemed to cause most of my problems, FWIW.

But, with rimfire, the solution is to find the ammo it likes, and feed it that. Sounds like you have accomplished this with the federal, so I would just stick to buying federal for it. Many have indicated they had to try several types of ammo before finding one their firearm liked. I have always been able to turn to federal without problems.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Remington makes nice guns. They make really crummy ammo and brass and primers. Clean your chamber. It may look clean but if you've been using Rem. ammo it now has a carbon ring in it. If a round doesn't want to go in to the chamber on ANY gun forcing it in by whacking on the bolt is a BAD idea. Never force anything on a gun. Especially a loaded one.

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Hold the barrel vertically. Place different brands of .22 cartridges into the barrel. They should drop all the way in easily. If they don't, you may want to consider lightly polishing the entry throat and first half inch or so of the barrel until the rounds do drop in easily.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Hold the barrel vertically. Place different brands of .22 cartridges into the barrel. They should drop all the way in easily. If they don't, you may want to consider lightly polishing the entry throat and first half inch or so of the barrel until the rounds do drop in easily.

Yes, this sounds like the answer. Now I have to figure out how to polish the chamber.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My Ruger Mark II jams. It doesn't like Remington brass ammo. It does like Federal bulk ammo. It hates CCI.

The jam I am getting is the rounds feed halfway into the chamber and stop. The bolt stays halfway open. The round can be forced into the chamber with a stiff slap on the back of the bolt.

It ejects great. It doesn't get caught on the feed ramp. It is just that many rounds get stuck halfway into the chamber.

Any suggestions. Oh, it is a slabside government model SS with an AAC prodigy supressor. It is as clean as anything can be. It is lubed.

Anyone know what I need???

I've never had my Rugers jam unless they were dirty. I shoot mine until it is so dirty it jams though.

I'd look at the same things that cause any other feeding problems in semi autos. The magazine lips first, then the ramp and last the inside of the chamber.

For each surface it's the same procedure. Feel it with your finger for burrs, nicks, high or rough spots. If you find any polish it off with a stone until it's smooth, or with super fine paper, or semi chrome and a polishing wheel on a dremel. If you get to the point nothing else is left then polish the chamber with some cloth over a 22 cleaning brush and some semi-chrome polish compound. You can just twist it with your hand in the chamber. Use the amo you have the most trouble with as go/no go gauge and I'd stop as soon as I can tell any difference at all. It's easy to shoot/ test it and do it again but it will be hard to go the other way if you do it too much. I imagine you would have arms like hurculease by the time you did it too long though. Clean the barrel after to remove any polish from the barrel.

If it's still a problem remove the slide and look for rough spots or tight spots in the slide fit. They will look shiny compared to all the rest as it is rough. I'd use a little polish compound there and operate the slide by hand until I don't feel it rub at that high spot and then clean and lube everything.

I use any amo that gives me problems in a semi auto in my Single Six. It don't care so long as you can push it in the chamber it works.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom