• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    tyler34- It is always very informative to read your posts regarding knives and the more technical aspects. As on old time gun guy but only a recent knife collector I find them to be very helpful. I was wondering if you had ever considered making a post on here, something like a layman's guide to the different kinds of blade steel with your personal comments and opinions. I am sure it would take some time, but no doubt it would be very enlightening to those of us who are not as knowledgeable as you. Thanks for the consideration.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm not so sure I would use it for forging but it's a good knife making tool steel. I know a lot of people say it can be brittle and is why you don't see in a lot of choppers but I like it for smaller knives because it will take a pretty thin edge a keep it for awhile.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not so sure I would use it for forging but it's a good knife making tool steel. I know a lot of people say it can be brittle and is why you don't see in a lot of choppers but I like it for smaller knives because it will take a pretty thin edge a keep it for awhile.

Yeah, my Kershaw Outcast is D2. I've yet to chop with it.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield

Ahh, I see. Ok I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    what is the news on Spyderco H-1 steel?

it's rust proof.

but how is the edge retention?

nothing to write home about but not horrible. it has basically no carbon.

Basically Tyler is correct about "no carbon"...but there are a couple of other elements added at a higher percentage than most steels. H1 has a higher percentage of Chromium (Cr) and Molybdenum (Mo) which provides better/greater resistance to corrosion than most other steels. Because H1 steel has very little carbon in it, the carbon is replaced with Nitrogen (N). The Nitrogen atom will function in a similar manner to the carbon atom but offers unusual advantages in corrosion resistance.

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Tyler34 what do you think about D-2 as blade steel? I'm getting ready to forge a bunch of it and make some choppers out of it.

+1 I'm with Tyler on this one, D2 is brittle, unless you have a lot of heat treat experience or have someone that does. My hawk is 3/8" D2 but I drew it back to a 45rc so I can beat the crap out of it. Being a hawk a razor edge isn't as important.

As far as forging D2:dunno: I've been told it will very quickly "work" harden. I would try o1 for forging and save your D2 for stock removal.

Last edited:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    if you want to forge something try 52100 it's great for forging a really tough with good edge holding

52100 is not a material that I have on hand at work. What other more common materials are good for forging choppers out of, that will retain a descent edge? Mostly What I have is high alloy's and more exotic metals. I recently acquired a small scrap piece of hastaloy x, that seems hard as a rock that I thought about tring to forge out a little to see how it turns out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    52100 is not a material that I have on hand at work. What other more common materials are good for forging choppers out of, that will retain a descent edge? Mostly What I have is high alloy's and more exotic metals. I recently acquired a small scrap piece of hastaloy x, that seems hard as a rock that I thought about tring to forge out a little to see how it turns out.

1095 will work for . . . anything!

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    We have tons of 4130, 4340,9310, m2,d2,d3 and those are just a few off of the top of my mind. I wish we had some 1095, but we just don't. Ohwell. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom