Electron Backscatter Diffraction (EBSD) reads serial numbers in crystal lattice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NIST Tech Beat for February 18, 2015

Before anyone asks, I was not searching for information on how to completely obliterate a firearm's serial number, I was perusing /. and this story came up. It had a firearms angle, so I thought INGO might find it interesting.

I found the comment at the end about manufacturers adding copies of the serial number in different spots that are then polished off for only law enforcement to know about interesting. Like is it even possible for such a thing to not get out to be known by "interested" members of the general public. Hiding VINs on a car is one thing. Hiding serial numbers on a handgun is another. Still, I predict that eventually, criminals looking to burn the serial number off a handgun will just dremel out the metal where the serial number is stamped and weld new metal in its place. The heat of welding will randomize any residual crystal lattice to the point that even EBSD couldn't recover it.

For that matter, if a receiver was heat treated (or anodized, or blued, or parkerized, or…) after purchase wouldn't that reach down into the crystalline lattice and screw with the information that EBSD relies on?

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Eventually they will embed a 'chip' in the firearm... Much like they do with cats and dogs now. All it will take is a quick scan to retrieve the serial number.

Time to build a faraday shield for the car...

Top Bottom