Enfield bayonet and original kabar...values?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Just got what I assume is a WWI Enfield bayonet and a WWII kabar. The bayonet is super long with a wood handle with a large steel cap thing on the end. I'm not sure it ever had a finish on it but it does have corrosion from age, no rust. The sheath does have small spotches of rust. The kabar looks like it's been well used and sharpened before but is dull at the moment. It was made in Camillus, NY. It is stamped USMC on the hilt. It has a very thick leather sheath. The finish is almost all the way worn off but there is no rust.

I bought both for $60. How did I do? What are these worth? And if they are even worth anything is it best for me to leave them dull? If they are worthless I'll just sharpen both of the blades for my collection.

EDIT: Seems like an M1917 bayonet from research. EDIT AGAIN: I was wrong. It's a $20 Yugoslavian M1924 bayonet. To the sharpener it goes...

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Kbar alone is worth the $60 you paid for the two.

The Enfield bayonet is worth roughly $50-$175 depending on maker and condition. Some were made by Wilkinson.
    Problem with the Enfield bayonet is they were generally serialized along with the firearm, so the bigger value is the matching numbers. There are also different "pattern" numbers. Mine is a pattern 1907.

I'd say you could probably get $60 out of the one you described, though it may take a while. Not everyone has an Enfield.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Anyone else? What should I look for to identify manufacturer on the bayonet? And can I figure date as well off of it? There is a big 16 on the grips carved in. It looks old. What does that mean?

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    It sounds like you would have been better off giving Knife Lady $60.00 and going home with another Izula. I don't see you getting $60.00 back out of it unless you can show some historical factor for the blade. You can pick new ones up all day long for that price. But then again I have never liked the Kabar.

KNIFESTRATEGIES.COM

Not sure on the bayonet. You should post some pictures.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It sounds like you would have been better off giving Knife Lady $60.00 and going home with another Izula. I don't see you getting $60.00 back out of it unless you can show some historical factor for the blade. You can pick new ones up all day long for that price. But then again I have never liked the Kabar.

KNIFESTRATEGIES.COM

Not sure on the bayonet. You should post some pictures.

Just did some looking and many knife forums have had similar questions asked about the same Kabar and it seems the median price is $100-$150. I have no ability to post pictures.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Just did some looking and many knife forums have had similar questions asked about the same Kabar and it seems the median price is $100-$150. I have no ability to post pictures.

I hope for your sake you can get that much. If you find someone in person who say its worth that much see how fast they are willing to make the deal. You'll usually see a big difference in the worth price versus what someone is willing to give.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    look here for info on your kabar, lots of good info. the condition will affect the value, but if it's one of the less common variations, you may still see a return on your investment.
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/
    also scan ebay for actual completed sales, not 30-day listings, to get an idea of value. i have a naval kabar that dates to 1944- i managed to talk the guy down to $7. here's a pic

DSCF1108.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom