• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Picked up an Izula from Brad this summer. Thought it would make a pretty handy little knife. Had messed around with it a litttle but had not really given it a work out.

Used it yesterday to field dress my youngest son's first deer. WOW, what a handy tool. Extremely sharp, holds a good edge, small enough to comfortably work inside a chest cavity. Cut through the sternum pretty easily. The ring on the back helped in keeping a firm, controlled grip when the knife became a little messy. Overall, I could not be more pleased with what a handy little knife this is. Everyone should have at least one. The first one will not be my only one.

Dirty Steve

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Never thought about using it for field dressing. I use my ESEE 4 for that, but I can see where the Izula would be great for up in the chest cavity.

Can't beat ESEE knives!!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    That's awesome. I like the izula for small game and can definitely see using it to gut out a deer.

I use my 4 for deer gutting. I was fortunate enough to gut out a nice 8 pointer last weekend. It was the first time I got to use my 4 for its purchased purpose.

Lammchop - I highly recommend the g10 orange scales. When I got home after about 5 hours of blood drying on my 4, I literally turned on hot water, rubbed it for 5 seconds and it was all clean. The micartas need soaked if you want to get the blood out. I couldn't believe how fast clean up was.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a hunter, but I just purchased an Izula-II from Brad last week. It is my new favorite knife. I haven't given it a workout yet, but I find myself looking for ways to use it. ESEE makes some exciting products. I'm already looking forward to my next purchase (which will probably be the ESEE 3).

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm not a hunter, but I just purchased an Izula-II from Brad last week. It is my new favorite knife. I haven't given it a workout yet, but I find myself looking for ways to use it. ESEE makes some exciting products. I'm already looking forward to my next purchase (which will probably be the ESEE 3).

3mil* is my fav. Good choice :yesway:

*subject to change based on the time of day, wind direction or whim

Last edited:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Let me tell you a little story called I it married and gave all my groomsmen an Izula.

cutting a deers head off literally using the Izula... 55$

Cutting a 3/4 inch climbing rope in half in one swipe to win a bet... + 5$

One box of band-aids...3.79$

Having 6 izulas on your coffee table... Priceless

Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Glad to hear folks love their Izzies. I have an Izula II and TKC scales ordered. Are you using the stock sheath, Dirty Steve? How do you carry it?

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I am using the stock sheath. It holds the knife firmly at any angle and seems comfortable to me.

For hunting, I have it clipped onto the shoulder strap on my backpack. That seems to work well.

I have carried concealed a few times as well and found that I like carrying it upside down clipped under my belt near my hip pocket. I have also carried it clipped inside my "dress boots " (Doc Martin 1914's) when I have had an out of town meeting. That was pretty comfortable as well.

I really love this little knife.

Dirty Steve

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Have you wrapped the handle with paracord? My youngest son has become quite proficient at paracord wrapping, and has done both of mine, well, one belongs to my wife. Makes them very comfortable to handle.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    It was wrapped, but after running through my sons deer, the paracord was full of goo. I stripped it off, cleaned it and will be wrapping it again. The downside of paracord on a knife used for field dressing chores is that it is a blood and goo magnet. The upside of paracord is that it is cheap, easy to do and easy to change the way the knife looks.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom