• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just a heads-up for those that just toss your purse/gear/laptop/ bag on the seat. It may not apply because we are manly men looking like hard(ish) targets. But I had this happen to a colleague on Friday and thought I would mention it. It has me changing my tactic.

A lady I work with was sitting at a stop light at (I think) 10th and Arlington not far from our office. Not a great 'hood, but not awful. She had her 90+yo mother in the passenger seat, who apparently was holding both their purses on her lap. Some punk walked up to her passenger window, shattered the glass then ripped the purses out of her mom's lap and ran off. In broad daylight at like 3PM. They're getting bold, folks. Granted it wasnt the window of a F-350 with NRA, military, etc stickers all over the back glass, but still. Thats pretty ballsy.

In the past I would throw my laptop bag in my back seat and head out. Not sure I'm doing that anymore as Im headed through what I perceive are worse neighborhoods in the general vicinity of the crime scene. I drive a subcompact sedan and limit my stickers so my car may not be as uninviting as that truck mentioned above. Looks like the trunk may be the new hotness. Or I keep that bedsheet that I use to cover stuff back there to put the bag under.

Just wanted to throw that out. They are getting bolder and bolder.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    floorboard in the back seat, right in the middle. Dark tint on the windows so not visible from outside. or in the center console, not visible at all.

I learned a long time ago in this city to never leave anything visible while driving or parking or getting gas.

I'm sorry this happened to them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife tosses her purse/satchel/backpack in the front or rear floorboard. It is actually heavy enough to set off the seatbelt alert when in the seat.

If I have my backpack, it goes on the floor as well.

Car windows aren't exactly easy to shatter. You really gotta WANT what's on the other side. That's kinda nuts.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Car windows aren't exactly easy to shatter.

It's one of those things that the right tool for the job matters a lot. You'd be shocked how little force it takes using a window punch, either commercial or home built. I actually put my hand completely through the window the first time I used a window punch because I thought it'd take a lot more oomph then it did.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    CM- sucks to hear of this happening especially when it involved victimizing a 90yo woman. While I agree that many thugs on the street are getting ballsy, I have to speculate the two ladys were perceived as easy targets. Made me cringe as it made me think of my 86yo grandmother who regularly puts her purse in the seat as she drives to the CVS on the corner. Myself and much of my family lives near where this happened.

Just last night on my way to work, I was sitting at the light at 30th & MLK and a guy walked out into stopped traffic and was looking into peoples cars. As he approached my truck I had my pistol in hand. The light changed first and he wandered off as we all drove away. So yeah they are ballsy. We gotta do our best to stay alert and keep our minds in condition yellow

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Typically when I have the top and doors off of my Jeep i seatbelt my backpack in on the passenger seat. My commute requires I drive a pretty good stretch down 38tg street. I figure the seatbelt will slow them down enough to discourage the theft or long enough to stab them with my pocket knife.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom