• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I have a gun rack I made in jr. high wood shop for Dad. Nice cherry with a cherry stain. When Dad passed the rack along with his fire arms passed on to me. I like to display some of my long guns on it on occasion. I have a Golden Retriever so I also have fur, dander and dust.

What do you guys use for everyday cleaning, wipe down of the externals? I break them down and clean the internals monthly to keep them clean, but I was wondering if there was something better than hoppes oil to clean the outside since it seems to attract everything.

Thanks in advance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For just a wipe down, a silicone cloth is A-OK.

But trust me... Daily wipe-downs will soon fall by the way-side. Ask me how I know. hehe

-J-

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    For just a wipe down, a silicone cloth is A-OK.

But trust me... Daily wipe-downs will soon fall by the way-side. Ask me how I know. hehe

-J-

Be aware that the use of silicon on any wood pieces will make it extremely difficult later if you need to repair or refinish those wood pieces.

I hear you on the daily wipe-downs. It's good in theory, but tends to vanish in practice.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I hate dust and dog hair on my firearms. I use every day Pledge sprayed on a dust cloth for the wood furniture.

Reason for the monthly cleaning is the same as the everyday wipe of the externals, dust in the barrels and mechanisms. Its not a full blown cleaning like after using the rifles, its a preemptive strike against the evil dust motes that have infiltrated my wonderful long guns.

:D

No, I'm not a neaknik, but Dad :bash: it into my head that a clean gun is a happy gun :laugh:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    You also run the risk of wearing the finish from wipping down daily, in particular if any grit or sand gets on the cloth.

Might wish to relocate to a an area that is cleaner or build a glass cabine or maybe a dust cover ....

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think your doing more damage than good. Store them muzzle down to keep any dust out, and their will be no reason to clean them monthly, unless their taken out and used. Otherwise, you are creating unnecessary wear and tear on the internals. As far as the finish gos, a silicone rag or polish cloth should be sufficient to keep the dust knocked down.

Top Bottom