• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have just begun to try to attain shooting accuracy with a handgun. All shots at a non bullseye IDPA target are printing on the left half of the target. I am not trying to fast fire or double tap. Every shot is controlled slow fire. The gun i have been shooting is a S.A. Range Officer. I have tried adjusting the rear Bomar site with no success. From a rest the gun will print honest two inch groups at 25 yards with my reloads.

I think part of my accuracy problem is that I have participated in the shotugn sports for years. I realize trigger control as well as sight picture is very different between a shotgun and a pistol. I am trying to concentrate on sight picture and trigger squeeze - but to no avail. Everything just keeps going left. I have changed my grip and my stance. Not change in result. I've had two friends shoot my gun - they are center mass with it. Distance to the target is 7 yards.

Should I:

shoot bullseye targets only until i gain proficiency ?
    move closer until i start getting center hits ?
    adjust my grip ?
    keep working on trigger control ?

I need help ! ! :xmad:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    There is a "magic target" out there in internet land that breaks down all the different sectors of a target, and tells you what the problem general is. My search abilities are crap, or I would post a link.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    If shooting to the left, one typically does not have enough of their finger on the trigger and push left when squeezing. Stick your finger in there a little further and see how it goes. Assuming you are using your right hand.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Hi amboy49,
    the good news is that you've narrowed it down plenty as you know the gun is fine and so are the sights. You're pushing left, and that's not bad either as it's better than being all over the place. Ask your friends who've shot the gun to draw you a picture of how they look at the front sight and target, and ask how they squeeze the trigger, then try what they say. It may help.

Do continue to work on your trigger pull. You'll get it figured out, no worries!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Break out the snap caps, and load one into your mag somewhere randomly, then start firing and see what happens when you get a click and not a bang. You may see yourself push the muzzle left as you press the trigger.

Also, make sure you're getting a good grip with your off hand to steady the pistol.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    First things first:
    1- Welcome to the wonderful world of pistol shooting
    2- Dry practice is your best friend. Both alone and with a partner, watch the frontsight of your pistol when you fire the pistol dry. Is your finger jerking it left? Do you need more of your firing side hand/palm/thumb on the gun?
    3-Most likely it is your finger. Most accuracy issues have to do with trigger control. You're likely not giving it enough finger. (Assuming youre shooting right handed, if you're shooting left handed and pulling it left, then you're giving it too much finger)
    4-Find the sweet spot for your finger on that gun. It will be somewhere between the outer edge of the pad of the finger and the first knuckle. Everyone is different.
    5-practice (again dry) pressing the trigger, slowly building pressure, until the trigger breaks without the front sight post moving when you press the trigger.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ditto everyone who mentioned trigger pull.

A good way to practice with a semi-auto is to balance a hollow point at the end of the barrel (hollow point side down). If you can dry fire without knocking over the bullet, you're good to go. Maybe this can also be accomplished with a revolver?

Maybe try an auto? :)

Ninja1310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg

Here's this bad boy which explains, and helped me fix the problems I was having.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are you same hand/eye dominant? I.e, right handed and right eye dominant?

The advise above about trigger finger is good advise, but its also easy to not have the front sight centered, especially if you are cross eye dominant.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    going left

Left hand to the side of the trigger guard.

I am right handed left eye dominant. When I shoot I close my left eye. As a skeet shooter, I learned to the put scotch tape on my left shooting glasses lense. This blurred my left eye vision and required my right eye to be my dominant eye. I tried to utilize this practice shooting a pistol, but it doesn't seem to work well.

I can dry fire the gun and keep the sight alignment through the complete trigger squeeze. ( or at least it seems to me ) I can bench rest the gun and shoot very small groups but they are slight high and to the left. Say . . . and inch or so.

Should I stop using the IDPA blank cardboard target and shoot at a bullseye target to help me focus on a specific point or aim ?

Top Bottom