• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A former police officer tearfully apologized Monday for his role in an elderly Atlanta woman's shooting death during a botched drug raid, and another told a judge he prays daily for the victim.

"I used to think I was a good person," ex-cop Gregg Junnier said before breaking down on the witness stand during a sentencing hearing in a federal courtroom in Atlanta, CNN affiliate WXIA reported.
    Junnier and two other ex-officers, Arthur Tesler and Jason Smith, face prison in connection with the November 2006 drug raid that left 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston dead in a hail of gunfire.
    Investigators later determined the raid was based on falsified paperwork stating that illegal drugs were present in the home. The killing prompted a major overhaul of the Atlanta police drug unit.
    Smith, like Junnier, apologized during Monday's sentencing hearing. The proceedings were expected to resume Tuesday.
    "I pray daily for Ms. Johnston. I also pray other officers in Atlanta will have the moral fortitude I didn't have," Smith testified Monday, according to WXIA.
    Smith, Junnier and Tesler pleaded guilty to federal charges of conspiracy to violate civil rights resulting in death. Smith and Junnier also pleaded guilty to state charges of voluntary manslaughter and making false statements, and Smith admitted to planting bags of marijuana in Johnston's house after her death.
    Tesler was convicted on one state count of making false statements for filling out an affidavit stating that an informant had purchased crack cocaine at Johnston's home in a crime-plagued neighborhood near downtown Atlanta. The informant denied having been to Johnston's home, leading to investigations by local authorities and the FBI, and the breakup and reorganization of the Atlanta police narcotics unit.
    Police said Johnston fired at them with an old pistol during the raid, and they shot back in self-defense. Johnston's one shot went through her front door and over the officers' heads; they responded with 39 shots, hitting Johnston five times.
    "Her death was the foreseeable culmination of a long-standing conspiracy in which the officers violated their oaths of office," Assistant U.S. Attorney Jon-Peter Kelly said, according to CNN affiliate WSB. The officers "regularly swore falsely" to get warrants and make cases, he said.
    Federal prosecutors said officers cut corners to make more time for lucrative side jobs providing additional security to businesses, often while on duty and for cash payments.
    Johnston's family was not in court Monday. But U.S. District Judge Julie Carnes heard a letter from Johnston's niece during the hearing, and family spokesman Markel Hutchins told WXIA he hopes an FBI report of the case can be used to prompt additional charges at the local level.
    "The real culprit in this is the culture within the Atlanta Police Department and the higher-ups that laid the foundation. Why aren't they being held accountable?" Hutchins asked.
    The probe also led to guilty pleas by the police sergeant in charge of the narcotics unit and another officer who admitted to extortion, federal prosecutors said.

Quote by public servant:
    And given the choice of believing a person convicted of the crime they were charged with or an officer of the law, without evidence proving otherwise, I'll pick the cop.

Maybe a story like this will show you why myself and others are not so inclined to think this way.
    I have family who are in LE and I respect the LE community, however I don't blindly trust anyone.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    More fallout from the war on drugs.

Horse hockey. This is nothing more than a case of corrupt cops. They are criminals with a badge. Calling it fallout from the war on drugs is just trying to throw them a crutch, make them victims instead of criminals, in hopes of making political points.

Sorry, nothing for them. A woman is dead lawfully defending her home because of these thugs. They didn't just violate the law, they crapped on the Constitution. Lock 'em up in general population.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    just an observation...maybe the tears were brought on by the aspect of crooked cops going to the same joint they had been sending thugs to.

Karma can be a bickle fitch sometimes.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Horse hockey. This is nothing more than a case of corrupt cops. They are criminals with a badge. Calling it fallout from the war on drugs is just trying to throw them a crutch, make them victims instead of criminals, in hopes of making political points.

Sorry, nothing for them. A woman is dead lawfully defending her home because of these thugs. They didn't just violate the law, they crapped on the Constitution. Lock 'em up in general population.
    It's not horse hockey. Had there been no war on drugs, they would not have been there and she would be alive. Not to say they wouldn't have been corrupt without it, but it is fallout. My comment also in no way was meant to excuse their sorry asses, but to indicate how wrong this whole "war" is in the first place.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's not horse hockey. Had there been no war on drugs, they would not have been there and she would be alive. Not to say they wouldn't have been corrupt without it, but it is fallout. My comment also in no way was meant to excuse their sorry asses, but to indicate how wrong this whole "war" is in the first place.

And if people didn't have money, there wouldn't be bad guys wanting to steal it. If there weren't women, men wouldn't want to rape them. Perhaps we should get rid of the war on theft and rape, and then we wouldn't have to worry about fallout from those crimes affecting corrupt cops, either. Trying to make these cops victims of the "war on drugs" to promote a pro-drug political agenda is no less ridiculous than either of the above.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Maybe a story like this will show you why myself and others are not so inclined to think this way.
    I have family who are in LE and I respect the LE community, however I don't blindly trust anyone.
    And as I had said...without evidence proving otherwise, I'd trust a cop over a convicted crook. I'm not saying there aren't bad or crooked cops out there....it's just like any other segment of the population. There are good ones and bad ones. But when my back is against the wall...I know who I'll call. And I probably can't count on the neighborhood crack dealer to help.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

There are bad apples in every bushel. There are good cops/military or military cops :): ... some are not.... You cant lump a classification into a grouping without knowing the individuals. That being said, these ex cops violated their oath of office, civil rights of the individual and deserved justice.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Had there been no war on drugs, they would not have been there
    QFT and rep'd.

just an observation...maybe the tears were brought on by the aspect of crooked cops going to the same joint they had been sending thugs to.

Karma can be a bickle fitch sometimes.
    Absolutely. Sorry you didn't smell the sarcasm in that flat text.
    I should have said ":rolleyes:" after it.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    And if people didn't have money, there wouldn't be bad guys wanting to steal it. If there weren't women, men wouldn't want to rape them. Perhaps we should get rid of the war on theft and rape, and then we wouldn't have to worry about fallout from those crimes affecting corrupt cops, either. Trying to make these cops victims of the "war on drugs" to promote a pro-drug political agenda is no less ridiculous than either of the above.
    Ok, I don't know who :poop: in your lunchbox, but please point to where I am making victims of these cops? I specifically made reference to the exact opposite. And I hate to break it to you, but there is no war on rape and no war on theft. I have no pro-drug political agenda, I have a pro-freedom political agenda. If people didn't have money, scumbags would find something else to steal. If there were no women, we wouldn't be here. What's your friggin' point? Because there are bad people who do bad things, we should just throw our hands up and declare we are helpless let the government do what they want, to hell with our rights we gotta stop the bad guys no matter what the cost?
    Either you can't or won't see what's going on, that's too bad. As our civil liberties are eroded, I'll be sure to send you a thank you card.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    QFT and rep'd.

Absolutely. Sorry you didn't smell the sarcasm in that flat text.
    I should have said ":rolleyes:" after it.

nope sorry, went to the range at Pop Gun's yesterday. Still have gunpowder boogs, the range isn't ventilated very well or its just the after affect of about 900 rounds. :):

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    There are bad apples in every bushel. There are good cops/military or military cops :): ... some are not.... You cant lump a classification into a grouping without knowing the individuals. That being said, these ex cops violated their oath of office, civil rights of the individual and deserved justice.
    Amen brother!! This is one of the major problem with "No Knock Warrants"

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am glad he is asking for forgiveness .
    Most people find ------ in the Jailhouse .
    He is way ahead .
    May --- bless .

Reason For Edit :
    Rule # 5 To comply . I censored name and title of " The Great Architect of the Universe " as it implies a particular religion that was practiced 200 years ago by the Founding fathers of this nation , Washington , Adams , Jefferson and is still practiced yet today . I realize this was not a ' thread " but I want to make sure that I fully comply with the rules.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom