Excellent idea for allowing PS employees to be armed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Middle aged women with Masters degrees are more afraid of the History Teacher with the gun than they are of a school shooter.

Scott Adams got it right. Democrats are afraid of being shot by other democrats.

(...in before the "don't send your kids to public school" bulls get back from walking their mutts...)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I'm in the process of putting three children through school. I've met a lot of teachers. Most haven't seemed like the ideal gun carrier to me. I vote we make it legal for all proper persons to be armed on public school property, employee, parent and visitor alike. Obviously prohibiting guns in public schools hasn't been efficacious.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I'm in the process of putting three children through school. I've met a lot of teachers. Most haven't seemed like the ideal gun carrier to me. I vote we make it legal for all proper persons to be armed on public school property, employee, parent and visitor alike. Obviously prohibiting guns in public schools hasn't been efficacious.
    As author Larry Correia said here:

"Don’t make it mandatory. In my experience, the only people who are worth a darn with a gun are the ones who wish to take responsibility and carry a gun. Make it voluntary. It is rather simple. Just make it so that your state’s concealed weapons laws trump the Federal Gun Free School Zones act. All that means is that teachers who voluntarily decide to get a concealed weapons permit are capable of carrying their guns at work. Easy. Simple. Cheap. Available now."

Most PS already have some CC-ers already. The maintenance guys / janitors, whoever.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    More than 30% of the 1200+ Texas independent school districts have armed (non-police) staff. State law requires only that the school board approve in writing that someone with a LTC has permission to carry on school property.

Unfortunately Uvalde was not one of them.

They are mostly smaller rural districts, and the vast majority use a template called the Guardian Program. The district (not the state) decides who carries, what training they get, and any other hoops they have to jump through, like a psych eval. The state Department of Public Safety has a training program that the schools can send their staff to, and many of the schools take advantage of it, but the school can hire private/civilian instructors instead.

The big city ISDs are decidedly more leftish and poo-poo teacher carry, and they can hire cops from the local city PD, or establish their own PDs. I believe Uvalde had school resource officers, like Parkland did.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    More than 30% of the 1200+ Texas independent school districts have armed (non-police) staff. State law requires only that the school board approve in writing that someone with a LTC has permission to carry on school property.

Unfortunately Uvalde was not one of them.

They are mostly smaller rural districts, and the vast majority use a template called the Guardian Program. The district (not the state) decides who carries, what training they get, and any other hoops they have to jump through, like a psych eval. The state Department of Public Safety has a training program that the schools can send their staff to, and many of the schools take advantage of it, but the school can hire private/civilian instructors instead.

The big city ISDs are decidedly more leftish and poo-poo teacher carry, and they can hire cops from the local city PD, or establish their own PDs. I believe Uvalde had school resource officers, like Parkland did.
    Sounds like TX needs pre-emption laws like IN.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds like TX needs pre-emption laws like IN.
    um, I don’t follow. Pre-empt what, exactly?

As far as I can tell Indiana and Texas have similar law on arming teachers, i.e. local school board has option to allow arming of staff or not. Appears to me that texas is way ahead on districts actually doing so.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    um, I don’t follow. Pre-empt what, exactly?

As far as I can tell Indiana and Texas have similar law on arming teachers, i.e. local school board has option to allow arming of staff or not. Appears to me that texas is way ahead on districts actually doing so.
    I was referring to this:
    The district (not the state) decides who carries, what training they get, and any other hoops they have to jump through, like a psych eval.
    Maybe I misunderstand. But in IN, the localities cannot override state law. Any "hoops to jump through" would be uniform throughout the state. (I think that's how it works, not entirely sure.)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I was referring to this:

Maybe I misunderstand. But in IN, the localities cannot override state law. Any "hoops to jump through" would be uniform throughout the state. (I think that's how it works, not entirely sure.)
    Oh, I see. These requirements are for their employees, i.e. Teachers, administrators. I don’t think that requiring training for the purpose of protecting students overrides state carry law in any way, Since carry on school property is completely discretionary by the school board.

I doubt Indiana is any different since the school board, by state law, also has discretion as to whether anyone can carry on school property, and the default is that carry on school property is banned.

In fact, I believe the Indiana Legislature passed a bill that provides a grant for 40 hours of training for an armed school teacher, but it appears that training is optional. In other words different schools could have different standards/requirements.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    My wife is a teacher and doesn't appear to look like a concealed carry person. She kicks major booty for only being 5'-4" @ 120lbs during force on force training.

This is EXACTLY the point. The less you look like a sheepdog, the better. And the jackals, as dumb and evil as they are, are afraid of not knowing who the sheepdogs are before they start their evil.

This is why it works. This is exactly how Eli Dickens stopped the Greenwood (REDACTED).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Larry Correia has also said that, in the years since Utah began allowing teachers to be armed in schools, there have been zero school shootings. How much of that is societal and how much is deterrence is unknown. (That last sentence is my opinion, not his.)

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Larry Correia has also said that, in the years since Utah began allowing teachers to be armed in schools, there have been zero school shootings. How much of that is societal and how much is deterrence is unknown. (That last sentence is my opinion, not his.)
    Yeah, I'm betting Utah has less "urban-osity" there...

Top Bottom