• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I recently put my factory 10 round mag back in my SKS. I had a 30 rounder in there but it never fed. Does anybody make a GOOD one that will work?

Its just a plain old 1951 Russian SKS

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I got into this question a few months ago. The gist of the thread was that nothing is as good as the box magazine. Tapco were about the only ones that got any kind of good reviews. This is assuming your rifle does not accept AK mags and make sure your rifle is 922 compliant before you switch over to a larger magazine. If you can get good at it, stripper clips can be very fast to use. Here is my original thread that did not go far. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/140407-sks_detachable_mags.html

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I use the tapco 20 rounders and they work great. Never had a single problem with them. And they are also priced well. Usually about $15 a mag.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I've tried three different mags: Tapco (plastic), USA (steel), and a no name (steel). All three fed well, but the Tapco is MUCH easier and smoother on mag changes. They are all I will buy now.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    From what I have seen it depends on the rifle, The steel 30rds work fine in my Yugo, but they dont work for crap in my brothers russian, he uses the 20rd tapco mags and they work fine for him. So really from what Ive seen its really up to the rifle, but alot of people have good luck out of the Tapco mags.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    From what I have seen it depends on the rifle, The steel 30rds work fine in my Yugo, but they dont work for crap in my brothers russian, he uses the 20rd tapco mags and they work fine for him. So really from what Ive seen its really up to the rifle, but alot of people have good luck out of the Tapco mags.
    ^^this^^
    That is exactly the experience I had with my Russian. Tapco worked great, and were easy to pop out and jam another in. Steel 30 rounders fed ok, although not as well as the Tapco. but I could never get them to lock in place as easy as Tapco. I don't remember if my Tapcos were 20 or 30 rnd.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Question to you tapco mag owners, does follower push up the bolt lock on the last round or does it catch on the follower? I have a couple of no name metal mags I got in a trade and they do not push the bolt lock up. This is a problem for me and makes them not worth the metal they are made of, IMHO

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I spent the retarded change and bought the HITECH mag conversion 37 rders. I found they worked awesome but kicked myself in the nuts over the cost. I wished I would of stayed with the factory fixed mag, and bought a AK!

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    +1 for the Tapco 20 rounders. I've used them for a couple years now. In fact, I just took my SKS out Sunday and shot 240 rounds with no failures to feed, no issues, no problems.

Top Bottom