• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric0321

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I pulled the trigger on an FAL Imbel Parts Kit. A good deal according to falfiles.com where I found it. I'm pretty new to the FAL. I just acquired my first one, a de-sporterized Springfield SAR-4800, last week from another ingoer.

Here are the kits:
    Imbel Parts Kit

I got the Very Good Condition package with no options.

I figure it will be a good project for me. Now I will just have to get a receiver (maybe another month or two due to $), and a headspace shoulder (admittedly I'm not sure what that part is).

Another ingoer recommended this for another piece I need to refinish: John Norrell Arms so I can use it to refinish this FAL if needed.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Good luck. I have been tempted, but everyone always says that you end up spending too much in specialized tooling to justify it. I would be interested in updates to how your project goes.

Eric0321

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've heard similar. If this ends up being my only build I'll probably pay someone with the tools. I've been told that you can get the tools for around $200. I may enjoy it so much that I hunt the tools down.

This is mainly a project I want to do with my dad for fun. I'm anticipating cleaning off the cosmoline, sandblasting the metal parts, refinishing, purchasing a receiver and headspace shoulder, then assembling (most likely pay someone with tools for that)

I've never sandblasted or refinished anything so it should be interesting. I'll post images of the progress as it goes along.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Always wanted an FAL so bad but I always either don't have enough money or can't find a rifle or parts kit when I do.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Way to go on the FAL! The headspace shoulder is also called the locking shoulder. The bolt and carrier operate kind of like a big fat SKS and the locking shoulder is the surface that the rear of the bolt rests on when the rifle is fired. There are different sizes of locking shoulders and you need a tool that measures that distance for you. If you got the kit on Falfiles, the guys there can hook you up with tools as well. (Im on there also as "urbanhermit"). Cruise the existing posts on whatever build info you need Theres enough info to make you go crosseyed.

Eric0321

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've been researching the refinishing part. I need an airbrush for the moly resin. I'm either going with a Badger 350 or a Paasche H.

For air I'm going to make my own setup following this guy's rig:

airsource.jpg

I already have one of those red tanks and a small compressor. I just need the moisture separator, regulator and hose adapter :-)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom