• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I know it gets overshadowed by deer season, but was wondering if anyone else out there was planning on doing any fall turkey hunting. Archery opens October 1st and firearms open October 19th.

I have got my license and am ready to go. I will be out on sunday. I have done spring turkey but never the fall hunt. I would love to get a big hen.

I do have a deer license, but I enjoy the gobblers also. It is enjoyable to me to try and call them in.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have never done the fall hunt, but am planning on using the same calls. I hope it works. At least in fall season you can take hens and jakes, where in the spring you can only take a tom.

:scratch: You can take a jake in the spring too If I remember correctly. Anyways, looks like I'll take the call and see if any come on. If one does...I'll just go buy a tag and try again. I don't have a ton of turkeys around me so its hit or miss.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I always buy a tag, or as I call it "donate to the DNR". I always see turkeys from my deer stand, but never until a day or two after the season ends...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I always buy a tag, or as I call it "donate to the DNR". I always see turkeys from my deer stand, but never until a day or two after the season ends...

I seem to run in to the same thing.... but I bought a tag again anyway in the hopes to get lucky :D

deer or bird, I'm flinging arrows at the first ones I see :rockwoot:

rgarner74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    The fall hunt is harder than the spring. Not much gobbling. I have more stalking and had better luck than calling them in , in the fall.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I usually try and go. I always see hens in the spring when I can't get them. :) They are pretty quiet in the fall so scouting is key.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Yeah, I shot under one yesterday evening. I'm in a tree stand and around 4:30 5 toms come into the woods about 65 yds. away. I always carry a diaphram call so out it comes and I float out a couple kee,kee's.
    That turned them my direction. I took a broadside shot at which I thought was about 22, turned out to be 27. That was enough to "shoot low". The bird moved back about 10 feet then they all hung at 30-35 yards before finally drifting off.
    I get fired up on turkeys. I plan on doing some archery set up for turkeys, then when shotgun comes in I'll take that.
    I kllled my first tom last fall with a shotgun. Called in 3 long beards using the kee,kee, run. They came in silent, but they were definitely looking.
    Good luck to you guys.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    :scratch: You can take a jake in the spring too If I remember correctly. Anyways, looks like I'll take the call and see if any come on. If one does...I'll just go buy a tag and try again. I don't have a ton of turkeys around me so its hit or miss.

you can take a hen in spring if it has a beard

Top Bottom