• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm running an A8SN-SLI motherboard and the fan for the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chip finally died. It had been real loud for a while now so I knew it was coming. The fan looked like this one:
    asus_board_big.jpg

So I bought this new fan/heat sink combo cause I read that it would work on my rig.
    avaialable with or without Fan. Fan Option is $3.00 more.
    yhst-24067115789173_2154_68339891

Got it installed without any trouble (ie. had to take the mobo out.) but when I went to plug the fan into the CHIP_FAN slot on the mobo it's a 3 PIN slot on the mobo BTW the fan did not work. **SIGH** I thought perhaps the fan was bad but then I tried it an an even OLDER PC and the fan did work! So it's not the fan but the CHIP_FAN connection on my mobo.
    So I'm wondering if their perhaps a connection adapter I can use that would take my 12V 4 PIN connetors down to a 3 PIN with the right volatge for my CHIP_FAN?

I have one of these connectors (FAR RIGHT)
    images

That is open. So wondering if they sell a 4 PIN MALE connector that the other end has a 3 PIN FEMALE connection so I can then connect the CHIP_FAN to?

If not any suggestions on keep the mobo cool then?
    The heat sink works OK by itself but when I push the machine it does heat up and BAM! BLUE SCREEN of death!
    I've been keeping the side case window open to allow for more airflow and have been opening the living room window to allow fresh air. That seems to do the trick (for now).

I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    Just keep the colors the same and splice the connector on. ATX standardization applies to all internal components so yellow (PS) = +12V = yellow(fan, lights, whatever). I have replaced fans in many machines and power supplies doing this.

Black = GRD
    Red = 5V
    Yellow = 12V
    Orange = 3.3V
    Blue = -12V
    White = -5V

Or try this

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks slackerisme but I think the "new" fan I got is no good as well. GGGRRR
    I cut one of these
    mail

and I tested using a volt meter to figure out which was the 12V.
    The YELLOW is the 12 V so I connected the RED cable of the fan (12V) to the YELLOW cable. The black cable next to the YELLOW I used as ground and connected to the BLACK cable of the fan. The fan also has a WHITE cable (ROTATION) per the mobo specs which I take it is the check the RPM via monitoring software.

Check again with the volt meter and was getting 12V but alas the fan was NOT moving. :dunno:

So looks like yet another bad fan? Or did I do something wrong?

Top Bottom