• ...and so much more!
  • jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Folks I'd like some feedback.
    Long story short while visiting my in laws yesterday the discussion turned to guns and self defense. Initiated by my wife. My father in-law feels the need for a firearm based on the discussion that lead up to the self defense using a firearm.
    He has a semi auto named Norinco, chambered in 7.62. I personally think it's a POS. Last time he fired it was with me approx. 10+yrs ago.
    He's 78 yrs old arthritic and not in the best of health. He doesn't have the strength or grip to rack the slide to chamber a round. He want's me to rack the slide and chamber one for him but leave the thumb safety on. (I know bad idea and I've explained that he is the safety and in a panic situation he probably won't remember how to disengage the thumb safety). Besides I showed him it didn't work when the thumb safety was on I could still pull the trigger.

I let him try to rack my Springfield XD SC and he struggled to do that cause he has no grip. He was really trying to push the slide vs. pull it back.

The gun is now in my possession cause I offered to clean it for him. I'm really struggling with this cause I don't want to give him this POS back that he can't even work.

I'm really thinking of getting him a revolver. This is where I need your feedback.... I know nothing about revolvers. What would you recommend for a 78 year old man with arthritis and not in the best of health.
    I'm thinking a revolver would be the simplest thing for him.
    Please advise,

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, if you're determined to get him in a revolver you can't go wrong with a Smith. Taurus is great for the money, too. I'd get him a .357 and box of .38's and .357's. .38's for some practice rounds and .357 for everyday carry. Frankly, tho, I have no problem with chambering a round in the semi and putting the safety on. I carry that way all the time. So do many other people. Might not need to put him in another firearm. Just check his semi out when you're over and work it every now and then.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The man has lived 78 yrs. Diapered your wifes butt and you think you can give him advice he wants to take?

Give him his rifle back. Offer to take him to practice with it and BRING a revolver along for him to try. Needs to be his idea to get one.
    If you ever insulted my intelligence by simply bringing me a revolver and deciding I wasn't capable enough to use my own weapon I'd be PISSED. That kind of disrespect is not what your wife's father needs at 78.;)

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Tell ya what OP... I'd go ahead and give him his Norinco back after cleaning... and why not get him a 38+P or 357 (with 38 and 357 ammo) as a gift?? He ought to be worth it, having helped raise your wife and all!! :D

Better yet, convince him to go to your local gunshop with you (ostensibly for YOU) and get him to handle a few different revolvers--see what feels best in his hands... Then at some point (birthday, anniversary, just for the heck of it), give him the one he liked best as a present. That way, it's a win-win. You get to be happy that he's got a gun his arthritis will still let him use proficiently, and he gets a new gun. Mutual range time afterwards is icing on the cake!!! :rockwoot:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The man has lived 78 yrs. Diapered your wifes butt and you think you can give him advice he wants to take?

Give him his rifle back. Offer to take him to practice with it and BRING a revolver along for him to try. Needs to be his idea to get one.
    If you ever insulted my intelligence by simply bringing me a revolver and deciding I wasn't capable enough to use my own weapon I'd be PISSED. That kind of disrespect is not what your wife's father needs at 78.;)

This!

My FIL is about the same age, and with similar "issues". He has a Ruger .357. He isn't strong enough to shoot it DA, but can cock it for SA just fine. His fine motor skills (especially under stress) aren't quite up to a semi-auto, either. Not the best situation. It works for him, and we feel it is safe enough.

Maybe let him try a few revolvers for "fun", and see what he says?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I would be pissed if you tried to decide for me also. The others have suggested excellent ways to help him decide for himself. This way, you wont offend this older gentleman that deserves your respect.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For home defense use? Whats wrong with leaving it the way he wants it for now, and maybe looking into a shotgun later to keep around the house? My wife's grandfather is in his 80s, and still has the ability to load and cock the hammer on his old sears single barrel. A double 12, loaded with low recoil buckshot, should be more than sufficient to deter criminal mischief in his home.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana

I would be pissed if you tried to decide for me also. The others have suggested excellent ways to help him decide for himself. This way, you wont offend this older gentleman that deserves your respect.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I have an excellent relationship with the FIL and really don't think he'd be ticked off if I gave him something different..I do like the idea of having him try something else that way it could be his idea..
    I just can't get the picture out of my head of him struggling to try to chamber a round unsuccessfully.
    I suppose after I clean his piece and shoot some rounds we'll see how it handles and maybe leave well enough alone.

Top Bottom