• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I assume this should go here rather than in handguns or self defense section. Anyway it appears they don't even make the +P versions anymore anyway so this is not referring to those. Any reason you'd pick 124 over 147? The latter seems to have lower recoil (i.e., energy) but performs just as well in the LuckyGunner tests. It would be for <4" barrel similar to their tests.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    You can't go wrong with either one. I have tested, shot,and carried both. The 124 seems to be a little more accurate in my G19 and M&P's. I really don't notice any difference in recoil either. I would suggest try both and see what your results are and go from there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I assume this should go here rather than in handguns or self defense section. Anyway it appears they don't even make the +P versions anymore anyway so this is not referring to those. Any reason you'd pick 124 over 147? The latter seems to have lower recoil (i.e., energy) but performs just as well in the LuckyGunner tests. It would be for <4" barrel similar to their tests.

Choose which one is the best performing in your gun.
    I carry the 135gr "Low Recoil" Federal. My G19-4 really likes the stuff.
    It all comes down to performance. I don't care if you're shooting 50BMG... If you don't hit the target then it's a waste of resources.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You can't go wrong with either one. I have tested, shot,and carried both. The 124 seems to be a little more accurate in my G19 and M&P's. I really don't notice any difference in recoil either. I would suggest try both and see what your results are and go from there.
    This is the best advice.

I ended up with the 147s because I planned on getting suppressors eventually and wanted subsonic rounds. They've run though every gun I have put them through, and are pretty quiet coming out of my suppressed 9mm Tavor.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If it weren't for the lack of similar training ammo, they even make 150 gr version meant for subcompacts. I'm puzzled why they bothered with a whole new bullet with so little weight difference though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    If it weren't for the lack of similar training ammo, they even make 150 gr version meant for subcompacts. I'm puzzled why they bothered with a whole new bullet with so little weight difference though.

Probably combination of powder and bullet making the 150 somewhat different. Then you have the Hornady approach to short barrel pistols with their Critical Defense line of ammo. Light FTX bullets combined with their own powder recipe. To be honest their approach makes more sense and their rounds appear to perform pretty good from short barrels which a lot of us carry.

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    I like them both but from what I've read some seem to prefer the results from the 124's over the 147's. Wish I could recall the article and source but I can't at the moment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'd be shocked if that wasn't just merchandising. Sure, maybe change the mix just enough to say you did. Essentially though, I bet its the same 147gr round in a 20 round box for more money per round.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I'd be shocked if that wasn't just merchandising. Sure, maybe change the mix just enough to say you did. Essentially though, I bet its the same 147gr round in a 20 round box for more money per round.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    I decided to go with 147. Now to start finding 9s to test. :)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A like the 147gr from the Lucky Gunner test and either carry HST or Critical Duty +P 135gr. The HST out of my G26 has more recoil than the 135gr +P. Small price to pay for that kind of performance.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I always tend to go with heavier end bullets, no matter the pistol caliber I am shooting.
    147s in 9mm, 240 grain in .45 ACP, 300 grain in
    .45 Colt.

Top Bottom