• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'm only speculating, but I'm guessing that the gov't is cracking down on LE ammo because it's not subject to the 11% excise tax that standard sporting ammunition is.

If people are buying LE ammo, the Dept of Treasury isn't getting their cut. This is only true if the ammunition is sold directly to an Law Agency. But if it's sold as surplus from these agencies, there's no tax paid on the ammo, making it less expensive to the public.

This would make more sense than the company cracking down for selling their product. I hope you are not right, but after the budget crisis, just stand by for all the new taxes on any non-essential goods. Im sure that congress and Obama will expect this to pay for all the extra spending in government.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I'm only speculating, but I'm guessing that the gov't is cracking down on LE ammo because it's not subject to the 11% excise tax that standard sporting ammunition is.

If people are buying LE ammo, the Dept of Treasury isn't getting their cut. This is only true if the ammunition is sold directly to an Law Agency. But if it's sold as surplus from these agencies, there's no tax paid on the ammo, making it less expensive to the public.

I doubt many agencies are selling (much less have) large amounts of HST rounds surplus.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah...the "here too" was a reference to the post directly above mine.

It's kind of important to read all of a thread in order to follow the conversation. ;)

:)

So did the link you posted have the Federal LE warning on the page previously? I do not see any reference to LE special ordering procedures for the Federal products as XtremeVel mentioned in the post before yours. I am not trying to argue or start any fights :), I just don't see anything listed on prestostore.com referencing that the ammo is for LE only.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Heh...no that link doesn't have any of that but I don't think his did either. So I was chiming in with another example of other websites selling the stuff with no restrictions.

This from XtremeVel's link:

" Typically this ammo is only available to law enforcement and military agencies through Federal, that is a Federal rule, not a law. We got this ammo, because we ordered it for a police department and they cancelled the order, so we can now sell it to anyone. This ammo is extremely hard for us to get and we have limited supplies."

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So did the link you posted have the Federal LE warning on the page previously? I do not see any reference to LE special ordering procedures for the Federal products as XtremeVel mentioned in the post before yours. I am not trying to argue or start any fights :), I just don't see anything listed on prestostore.com referencing that the ammo is for LE only.

Heh...no that link doesn't have any of that but I don't think his did either. So I was chiming in with another example of other websites selling the stuff with no restrictions.

This from XtremeVel's link:

" Typically this ammo is only available to law enforcement and military agencies through Federal, that is a Federal rule, not a law. We got this ammo, because we ordered it for a police department and they cancelled the order, so we can now sell it to anyone. This ammo is extremely hard for us to get and we have limited supplies."

Yea, what ammo to go states now days is much more relaxed than it was a couple years ago in the middle of the ammo shortage.

Back just a couple years ago, they either didn't list any at all or if they did, they had a statement saying for LE only. Them making this statement met nothing because even back then I never had trouble ordering other than waiting till they had it in stock. As to why they posted that statement, all they claimed was they wanted to remain on Federals " good side ". They claimed it was Federals wishes that LE was supplied first.

In between the time of the shortage and now, they also claimed to have the authorization to sell because all the LE needs were met. Again, I wouldn't have a clue if it was just more BS or not, but does make me wonder if they are anticipating a future ammo shortage again with the elections coming up.

About the only thing I know for sure is even back when Ammo to go posted the statement LE only, they did NOT enforce it !

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Hmmmm....interesting. All this does make it quite believable that Federal just could in fact sometimes participate in ass-hattery.

If ATK wants to take steps to ensure that, when their production capabilities are not meeting the demand of law enforcement at that time, restrict sales to the general public, not sure I have a problem with that.

Top Bottom