• ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I believe you’re talking the 9mm Hi Shock JHP? It’s decent stuff

While some claim you have to have a bonded bullet to live through the night the Federal Hi Shock has some decent in real world shootings. Upper Thoracic hits are what matter. And as Joe and Jane Public you’re not likely to have to shoot though windows.

My Agency issued Federal Hi Shock for a while and when the USAF authorized JHP for the M9 at stateside bases around 1999 we used the 124 Hi-Shock with the Indiana ANG when I was in.

Even though I sort of like heavier rounds I still have a bunch of Federal 115 9bp from my Agency Instructor days. I have carried with no worries. And the price was right LOL

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The 115gr +P+ hi-shok is quite the spectacle on gel tests.

I believe it's model number 9BPLE. That's one of the older school rounds I'd absolutely trust to be just as effective as some of the best options around today.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The 115gr +P+ hi-shok is quite the spectacle on gel tests.

I believe it's model number 9BPLE. That's one of the older school rounds I'd absolutely trust to be just as effective as some of the best options around today.
    I have used both but prefer the heavier 147 grain. I know it’s an old school round, but I think it’s more than adequate, often times I think there is too much emphasis hardware, and too little on competency.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I shot a pumpkin filled with water with a 115 gr +P hi-shock out of a 8" barrel and it vaporized it. It seriously looked like a 20" 5.56 round hit it. I was impressed.

Come to think of it, it might not even have been a +P round...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I’m not in the business of shooting squishy meat filled bags so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I have found the Federal Hi Shok 9BP 115 grain to be accurate and reliable in all guns. It used to be cheap and plentiful in the unassuming white box. If I could find cheap cases again I would not hesitate to grab some.

The 147 grain Hi Shok shoots and feels exactly like the 147 grain HST or Hydro Shok. I would not hesitate to carry any of those loadings. Or maybe carry the HST and stock up on the Hi Shok.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While some claim you have to have a bonded bullet to live through the night the Federal Hi Shock has some decent in real world shootings. Upper Thoracic hits are what matter. And as Joe and Jane Public you’re not likely to have to shoot though windows.

I'd rather have a round that lets me shoot through my vehicle window if needed, but more importantly auto glass tests are a very good analog of bone strikes. Joe Public may not shoot through a window routinely, but how often does a forearm obstruct that upper thoracic? Does having a bullet that retains mass, thus penetration, after shattering an ulna maybe matter then?

People can, and do, prevail with bulk fmj. Most people will live through the night with a squirt gun. I don't know that conforming to the lowest minimum standard or confusing good outcomes with good decisions is our best course of action, though.

Bullet selection is low on the list of why people live and die, but I'll spend the extra nickel and get ammo that's known to hold together after glass/bone strikes, resists deflection off round bone, etc.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'd rather have a round that lets me shoot through my vehicle window if needed, but more importantly auto glass tests are a very good analog of bone strikes. Joe Public may not shoot through a window routinely, but how often does a forearm obstruct that upper thoracic? Does having a bullet that retains mass, thus penetration, after shattering an ulna maybe matter then?

People can, and do, prevail with bulk fmj. Most people will live through the night with a squirt gun. I don't know that conforming to the lowest minimum standard or confusing good outcomes with good decisions is our best course of action, though.

Bullet selection is low on the list of why people live and die, but I'll spend the extra nickel and get ammo that's known to hold together after glass/bone strikes, resists deflection off round bone, etc.
    While you’re not wrong maybe I should have articulates a little better.

Your first sentence in your last paragraph sums up the point I was trying to make.While bonded is a better performer my angle as a semi retired guy was like you stated bullet selection rarely is the sole factor if you don’t come out on top!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I bought a case of the 147gr variety a few years ago when I saw a great sale on it.

Everything I had/have fed, fired, and extracted it just fine with the exception of my gen 1 Shield.

It's most definitely the most modern bullet design out there.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been switching to HST or Gold Dot. That's all I'm using for a defensive round.

The rest of my hollow points have become range fodder, and used to test new handguns for reliability with hollow point ammunition.
    I've even been giving away some of it to others who do not have any defensive rounds.
    They aren't bad but they aren't HST or Gold Dot in performance.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

just curious what you carry for off hours?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I've been switching to HST or Gold Dot. That's all I'm using for a defensive round.

The rest of my hollow points have become range fodder, and used to test new handguns for reliability with hollow point ammunition.
    I've even been giving away some of it to others who do not have any defensive rounds.
    They aren't bad but they aren't HST or Gold Dot in performance.
    Same here with all the new shooters out there, it never hurts to share a box or two of defense rounds.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    just curious what you carry for off hours?

Same as I carry on duty for 9mm, 124gr +P HST, generally. Around the house, its usually just an LCR in my pocket if I haven't gotten ready to go out for the day, also HST +P. 130gr, IIRC. Less than a 4" barrel I stick with .38+P, even if .357 mag capable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Same as I carry on duty for 9mm, 124gr +P HST, generally. Around the house, its usually just an LCR in my pocket if I haven't gotten ready to go out for the day, also HST +P. 130gr, IIRC. Less than a 4" barrel I stick with .38+P, even if .357 mag capable.
    BBI is +P HST really needed? I'd like your opinion on this.
    All I've seen is ballistics gel testing, and standard pressure HST seems to do as well as the +P.
    However, you no doubt have seen or know if there is a performance difference in real life shootings.
    Should we all go to +P HST for carry ammunition?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI is +P HST really needed? I'd like your opinion on this.

No, definitely not needed if we're talking 9mm. Unless you or your gun just really likes one over the other for some reason, I think we're still in hair in a bear's ass territory.

I do prefer +P in .38 Special, .45 Colt, and .45 Auto, though. Assuming the firearm is +P rated. The fps gain is generally more significant and in the heavier .45s aid in consistent expansion.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No, definitely not needed if we're talking 9mm. Unless you or your gun just really likes one over the other for some reason, I think we're still in hair in a bear's ass territory.

I do prefer +P in .38 Special, .45 Colt, and .45 Auto, though. Assuming the firearm is +P rated. The fps gain is generally more significant and in the heavier .45s aid in consistent expansion.
    Thank you.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It’ll do the job. If you are looking for cliff notes on the last 10 years of in depth testing and studies, get gold dots or HST and that’s the end. I prefer 124gr +p, but 147 are excellent also.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just for grins I purchased a case of 147 grain Hi Shok. I reload almost 100% of my target ammo, but I do like to keep some factory stuff laying around. As I mentioned above Hi-Shok in the past feels and shoots the same as HydraShok and HST.

I was pleasantly surprised to see this latest batch to have sealed primers and bullets. Will work fine as something to toss in the closet and store away for a rainy day. It isn’t cheap anymore but not crazy out of whack either.

IMG_9350.jpeg IMG_9351.jpeg IMG_9352.jpeg

Top Bottom