• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Frankly, I'd be more impressed if Ryan Mears just added 3 more prosecutors to his staff, instead of gifting the municipal funds he's responsible for spending to the much more deep-pocketed feds in exchange for "temporary contract" workers.

Again, thanks for putting the band-aid on your resource allocation incompetence, but the more you think about this, the more it seems like PR "fluff" that isn't favorable to the locals.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll know. I doubt the attention span on this is long, though. INGO will have something else to work into victimhood and move on.

As always, thank you for your professional inside information! :ingo:

Hopefully you will keep us informed of any progress on this?

Not all of us strive for the "victimhood." Some of us just want what's better for our state capital. Want our capital city to be more of a reflection of Indiana, rather than Illinois or California or New York.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Frankly, I'd be more impressed if Ryan Mears just added 3 more prosecutors to his staff, instead of gifting the municipal funds he's responsible for spending to the much more deep-pocketed feds in exchange for "temporary contract" workers.

Again, thanks for putting the band-aid on your resource allocation incompetence, but the more you think about this, the more it seems like PR "fluff" that isn't favorable to the locals.

I would very much like to address the Ryan Mears issue, but I think in my current capacity and my need to maintain as good a working relationship as possible I'll just STFU on the topic other than to say a lot of experienced and dedicated people have left. That is NOT to say that there are not still some very experienced and dedicated people there.

I wouldn't be a deputy prosecutor for love or money. I rate it slightly above prison guard in my personal "I'm glad someone does it and I'm glad that someone isn't me" category.

I'll also add the entire criminal justice system is a band aid. We can tamp down problems, but we can't *fix the underlying issues in society* that are causing them.

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I would very much like to address the Ryan Mears issue, but I think in my current capacity and my need to maintain as good a working relationship as possible I'll just STFU on the topic other than to say a lot of experienced and dedicated people have left. That is NOT to say that there are not still some very experienced and dedicated people there.

I wouldn't be a deputy prosecutor for love or money. I rate it slightly above prison guard in my personal "I'm glad someone does it and I'm glad that someone isn't me" category.

I'll also add the entire criminal justice system is a band aid. We can tamp down problems, but we can't *fix the underlying issues in society* that are causing them.
    @BehindBlueI's

Thank you for the insight, and please keep us up to date. Anything which effectively removes the particularly violent feral humans is a plus.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    So, the city is paying for the manpower to increase the number of successful referrals.
    I'm thinking the city should hire and employ its own prosecutors. I'm not a fan of the federales working what amounts to local street crime, heinous though it might be at times. I accept we virtually have that now with all the "agency partnerships" and whatnot, but still believe Indiana(polis) should deal with their own or suffer the reality of choices made by voters, mayors and prosecutors. If Indy as a whole was determined to be less violent, Mears would be gone. Mears is still here. Either voting is fraudulent or most Marion County voters prefer him and his procecutorial politics.

It's also not on the local budget to jail them
    This is a damn good point.

They are largely shooting each other and they are well aware that they are getting shot right back or getting shot in retaliation. They are not afraid of getting shot enough to not do the things they are doing.
    Then maybe we should simply fence them in. No remorse for murder, no fear of death, what a great segment of society. I'm sure they're teaching their children well.

Another damn good point.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Marion County voters prefer him and his procecutorial politics.
    This is the problem. When most of your constituents are criminals, then your constituents are going to keep voting for you. Just like with Andre Carson. If most of your constituents are on welfare, then your constituents will keep voting for free ****.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The TeeVee News tonight listed 3 bullet points to Stinky Shoes' "Gun Violence Reduction Initiative:"

* 3 new prosecutors

* Raising the gun purchase age from 18 to 21.

* Ending permitless carry in Indy

...so it looks like maybe Ark was right. This seems to be just about guns. I now have just slightly above zero confidence city leaders are proceeding in directionally correct fashion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm thinking the city should hire and employ its own prosecutors. I'm not a fan of the federales working what amounts to local street crime, heinous though it might be at times. I accept we virtually have that now with all the "agency partnerships" and whatnot, but still believe Indiana(polis) should deal with their own or suffer the reality of choices made by voters, mayors and prosecutors.

Indianapolis residents vote in federal elections and pay federal taxes as well. There's also sometimes federal charges that apply, or have stiffer penalties, than state laws.

At least the City County Council is recognizing that prosecution and resources matter. You can't simply arrest your way out of the issue but you can't hug your way out of it either. A carrot and stick approach has been formulated, but the stick has been sorely lacking. It's not even just a question of money, it's a question of talent.

Getting qualified people willing to put up with the ******** for the amount of money offered for it gets tougher every year at every level of the process. Street cops to trial attorneys to court staff to jail staff. Marion County deputy prosecutor starting salary was $52k/yr last I looked. Major felony experienced trial attorneys are in the mid-$70s. What's the average debt for someone coming out of law school? If you can't get idealists who'll work for less financial reward for the reward of fulfillment for feeling like they are making society better...who are you getting? It's frightening to see how quickly experience is fleeing at multiple levels, a lot of young guys are going to have to reinvent the wheel because the people who would have mentored them before are now gone. It's not an apocalyse or anything, yet, but it's certainly less than ideal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Federal Prosecutor of the Southern District of Indiana Zach Myers seems pretty solid. Maybe something can come from this.

It's really amazing the people whose policies lead to Indianapolis becoming a violent hell-hole can't grasp that they are 5 years late on doing something about the revolving door they created.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Mears is still here. Either voting is fraudulent or most Marion County voters prefer him and his procecutorial politics.
    Voters are LAZY and vote 100% straight ticket. Politicians know this and know that, in Indianapolis, getting on the Dem ticket means they get elected. In Hendricks county, they know if they get on the Rep ticket, they get elected. Etc, etc etc. People stopped voting for a person LONG ago. Party trumps persons.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Fed time is both lengthier and more "sure", in that the cases are seen through vs plead to illegal parking or dropped or let go by a jury who didn't want to miss their evening shows. It's also not on the local budget to jail them, so it's a budgeting win for the county to get more offenders to the county level.

It's not a "fix", but it's certainly a help.
    State 'time' is open for parole at 50% of time served, based on the incarcerated's behavior.
    Federal time-served is 80% of time served, based on the incarcerated's behavior.
    It's my understanding that the Fed's have a better chance of getting plea bargains through, as long a charges meet a federal-level criteria, especially in those situations that involve multiple charges against an individual.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This is the problem. When most of your constituents are criminals, then your constituents are going to keep voting for you. Just like with Andre Carson. If most of your constituents are on welfare, then your constituents will keep voting for free ****.

I remember when the final vote authorizing concealed carry in Illinois. One state rep from Chicago declared she was voting against it because very few of her constituents would qualify for the CCW because too many were felons. Jim.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Society has to move the needle on culture.
    Isn't part of this that certain cultures need to change also? My simplistic view is that the ongoing issue is akin to the "family feuds" where people can point to the latest tit-for-tat, but not what got it started in the first place... and can easily reignite with the least provocation.

You can kill all the alligators you want, the swamp is still there.
    "They" are killing each other, or attempting to, as quickly as they can.

How is the analogy not more like a removing the dry tender and a lit flame from preventing a forest fire? It might be oversimplified, but removing those proving most likely to enflame the situation tamps down the flames.

The low hanging fruit would seem to be those with prior violent felony convictions packing on the streets. 10 years in federal prison has to prevent some murders... both turning the volume or murders down AND preventing that particular perp from a life prison term for said murder.

Last edited:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    This seems like a good idea and I may, for the first time, give Hogsett credit for something positive. It brings more manpower to law enforcement and attacks local crime from a slightly different angle.

The Deputy Police Chief had positive comments and, according to the article, the focus is "going after the people committing gun crimes and other serious violent offenses in Marion County." I'm all for that (although as others point out it does nothing to fix the underlaying problem).

There was a "defund" protest on the circle earlier this year yet the council is considering spending an additional $225k. That seems like a small but positive sign.

Top Bottom