• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Springfield XD45. Of course I am biased since that is my personal carry. I would recommend asking some people here if you could tag along and ask to shoot their guns. Maybe you will find what you like. You know, like a Springfield XD45 :D

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think 9mm is a good way to start. The ammo is reasonable and shoots smooth out of most full size semi-autos.

I have a Springfield XDM 9 which shoots like butter, but if price is a big issue (and even if it's not) I'd strongly consider the Sig P2022. You can find them for under $400 which is a great gun for the money.

My first firearm was a Glock. They are nice for the beginner since they are easy to take apart and clean thoroughly. In my opinion you can't find anything more reliable.

You got a lot to choose from out there. See what fits you best and if it's a well known brand you're probably good to go. Plus, most keep their value nicely so you can always sell or trade out if you don't like it.

Good luck. :twocents:

badge036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    Hit the range and shoot as often as you can. 9mm is going to be your cheapest to shoot. I prefer .45, for home defense you can't beat IMO a short tactical 12 gauge. Especially being awakened in the middle of the night! And stick with higher end guns you get what you pay for. As far as safety's go you are the best safety for any weapon, so invest in a good gun safety course.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    XDm-3.8 in either 9mm or .40 S&W. Comes with a short and long magazine. Use the long magazine for range and home defense and switch to the short magazine for concealed carry. Magazine release is ambidextrous.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have decided to purchase my first handgun and I was wondering if the group could give me some suggestions or advice. First off, I would like your opinions on the size and brand. 9mm? .40 or .45? I'm 6 foot, about 180. I'm also ambidextrous so the pistols I've held felt good in either hand. I don't want too much of a gun. I also don't want a pea shooter. I was planning on purchasing for home security, but I also wonder if size should matter since one day I might want to wear in public. I would also like to know of any "extras" you experienced pistol owners might suggest (i.e. sights, kind of ammo, size of magazine, etc.).

I recently held some Glocks and they felt good. I was also told about Sig's, but I believe they are more expensive. Rumor has it the Sig doesn't have a safety on it either. I would like to verify this as well.

I am a rookie when it comes to guns. Whatever pistol I end up buying I plan on taking some classes for it. I hope these questions don't sound too dumb for this forum. Thanks in advance for your replies and I look forward to reading them.

As a starter, I recommend a 9mm as it will be the cheapest and allow the most range time possible. Not to beat the horse, but its true. A sig 226, or 229 can be quite pricey if trying to buy new, and used they still run the 400-500 range. But, if you are interested in a Sig, you, being new to the forum, missed out on the wildfire about the Sp2022 that is Sig and very reasonably priced! Here is a link to one (of the many) discussions.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/152875-sig_pro_2022_opinions_wanted.html

And here is a link to Palmetto State Armory, who has an awesome price on the 9mm and they help support this site!
    Sig SAUER SP2022 Pro 9mm

Sig Sauers have safeties. They actually have a 4 point safety system. Kinda a brief overview of the active safety is that by using the decocking lever, the hammer can be de-cocked without actuating the Firing pin disconnect making it impossible to accidentally fire the weapon by using the decocking lever. Furthermore, using the decocking lever makes the weapon "drop safe" which means the firing pin will be blocked from striking a loaded round unless the trigger is pulled. Pulling the trigger and slowly lowering the hammer does not make the weapon "drop safe," and can result in an AD (accidental discharge) if sufficient force is applied to the hammer. Properly decocked, the pistol can be holstered safely and can be fired in double action mode by simply pulling the trigger. However there is NO MANUAL SAFETY to manipulate. I love Sigs and would recommend them to anyone.

Fit and comfort are 75% percent, caliber preference should be around 20%, and the maker/reputation of the firearm should be about the last 5%.

After all... Hi-points do function... Most of the time.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    I'll second what G_Stines said. I'll also add that, if you (OP, or anyone on here for that matter) ever want to shoot a SP2022, let me know. I'm always down for finding a reason to go to the range. :D

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bigger Holes leak more fluid, as one Xpert put it. But If you don't like the gun you won't practice. so get what feels good in your hand. My first EDC was a 9mm Ruger P95. It was affordable and alowed me to practice often, and it will take some abuse, and I'm not bummed out if it gets scratched.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Lots of good advice here for you.

I would add that you should go ahead and apply for your LTCH permit. Perhaps a handgun safety course from Indy Gun Safety (see in list of INGO sponsors) would also be helpful.

And one more thing, you mentioned living on the Westside, you are close to two great shops; site sponsor Bradis (Camby) and Plainfield Shooting Supplies. Both have great inventory, customer service, and pricing.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Had you thought of starting off with a .22 pistol? That would be cheaper to shoot than centerfires. Though if self-defense is a more immediate consideration, there's a ton of good advice on this thread already when it comes to centerfire pistols.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Had you thought of starting off with a .22 pistol? That would be cheaper to shoot than centerfires. Though if self-defense is a more immediate consideration, there's a ton of good advice on this thread already when it comes to centerfire pistols.
    My very first pistol was a ruger single six which has both .22 & .22 mag clylinders. Never thought about carrying it. Because it was a single action and small caliber. However the other day I saw what a .22 mag did to a block of balistic gel on a U-tube video. VERY impressive! So maybe I should have considered it as a carry gun, especially since it was the only hand gun I owned at the time.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I think that you're on the right path. Look a lot, ask a lot of questions, shoot as much as you can, and remember that what good for one isn't good for everyone. If you know what qualities you like then narrow your search by using those qualities as must haves.

Good Luck!:twocents:

By the way, shoot as much as you can to find out what you like...:ar15:

Top Bottom