• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, I've checked the FAQ (making sure I put that out there) and I'm still confused...

I was told by a seller on Gunbroker that the handgun I purchsed HAD to be shipped by UPS overnight to me (03 FFL) but that to an FFL dealer would be USPS Priority.

Does the postal service make a distinction between 01 and 03 FFLs?

Reason I'm asking is that he charged me $46 shipping UPS overnight, where several other auctions I'm watching or bidding on list USPS Priority or just Priority shipping. Another auction I won for a smiliar sized handgun charged me $10 shipping. I paid about the same for the second gun with its shipping that I did for the first gun's shipping alone!

Why the discrepencies?

Are the regulations outdated/incorrect, or are sellers using USPS without declaring, or does the first seller I dealt with not know that an FFLs are the same to the Postal Service? (Or are they not all equal to the Postal Service?)

All I see is that USPS will ship FFL to FFL with a Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

So I can be shipped to via USPS, correct?

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    The USPS uses a bit of a twist for holders of C&R FFLs*** note that the postal reg below states "licensed dealer" may mail handguns. The BATFE makes it fairly clear that A C&R holder can not be a dealer.
    Somewhere on one of the web sites there is an FAQ that explains this.
    Bottom line is that a C&R holder can not ship or receive handguns via USPS.

Mailability Requirements for Firearms
    Unloaded Handgun

Handguns
    — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are

nonmailable UNLESS

mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an

authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and

ONLY when
    addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Non-FFL holders may not ship handguns via USPS. Doesn't matter who the recipient is.

Correct, but the seller is an FFL holder, and I am an FFL holder, they're an 01 FFL, and I'm an 03 FFL...

I think the post from Steven hits it, C&R FFLs are not considered dealers. I was just wondering if the USPS made that distinction in shipping regulations...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Nothing that I know of REQUIRES FedEx or UPS to ship overnight. It's policy. If you have ever worked there you would know why.

Way back when... there was no tracking at UPS except on overnight and 2nd day. It would be a coin toss as to whether the package would show up if it wasn't tracked, and the ATF doesn't like it when firearms "dissapear" in transit, and UPS doesn't want to spend the money to find them.

Now that every package is tracked they do it cuz it's more money and since USPS won't let non dealers ship handguns, they know you pretty much only have two choices and they can charge whatever they want.

I would ask the seller to ship USPS via his local FFL, and you'll pick up the FFL fee on his end. Should save you $20-$30.

Still has to come to a FFL on your end though.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Correct, but the seller is an FFL holder, and I am an FFL holder, they're an 01 FFL, and I'm an 03 FFL...

I think the post from Steven hits it, C&R FFLs are not considered dealers. I was just wondering if the USPS made that distinction in shipping regulations...
    How the FUDGE is the USPS going to know there is a handgun in the package or if you're a C&R dealer:dunno:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    How the FUDGE is the USPS going to know there is a handgun in the package or if you're a C&R dealer:dunno:

And I think that's how the shipping on my 2nd handgun is only $10 where the shipping on my first one is costing me $46...

My local dealer charges $10 transfers, I could have had it shipped to him and saved $20, because shipping USPS to a dealer for the first one was only $26.
    The auction was worded very poorly, so I didn't realize that, I thought the price difference was just the option of priority vs. overnight

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you have an FFL you may ship via USPS. You must declare the handgun and hand them a PS form 1508 when you do so. Non FFL holders must ship by common carrier. (FEDEX or UPS) There is no difference between 03 and 01 FFL.

You have to declare it on form 1508 and it's a federal offense not to do so. They can also open any package they want to. I get morons that ship to me all the time (EVEN AFTER BEING GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS!) and cheat on the shipping so USPS, FEDEX and UPS leave the gun on my doorstep for ANYONE to steal because they don't require a signature. When this happens I ALWAYS call the postmaster or FEDEX/UPS and report it. It really is best to just follow the rules.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    If you have an FFL you may ship via USPS. You must declare the handgun and hand them a PS form 1508 when you do so. Non FFL holders must ship by common carrier. (FEDEX or UPS) There is no difference between 03 and 01 FFL.

That's what I thought might be the case, I read about the Form 1508, and assumed that an FFL was an FFL to them, whether it was an 01 or 03...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The USPS uses a bit of a twist for holders of C&R FFLs*** note that the postal reg below states "licensed dealer" may mail handguns. The BATFE makes it fairly clear that A C&R holder can not be a dealer.

Widener's sent me (FFL03) a handgun via USPS.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Mailability Requirements for Firearms
    Unloaded Handgun

Handguns
    — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are

nonmailable UNLESS

mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an

authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and

ONLY when
    addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the

It also specifies who is allowed to receive a handgun, and "licensed collector" is not one of them.

Top Bottom