• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I was looking at the M&P 9 and thought to do a field strip to familiarize myself with it. My question is, when field stripping, is it required to lubricate it or can I just field strip it and put it back together without cleaning/lubing it? I know it doesn't need cleaned yet since i have yet to fire it.

Thank for all the help.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You don't HAVE to put fresh lube on it just because you took it apart.

ETA - if the gun is brand new, you should clean and lube it.

Last edited:

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    Haha..HEY RYAN!

I see since [H] is down, you ask here...=)

Haha, i seen your S/N on the main page, and was wondering if it was the same person. :D If you ever want to go out and shoot we can meet up somewhere. I still have to head out to try out the new handgun.

I wasn't sure if I had to put fresh lube on after stripping it. Thanks for clarifying.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Since you haven't fired it yet, the first thing i would do is disassemble it and look it over very well. Then put it back together and work the slide back and forth a couple dozen times. Take it back apart and check for any wear. If wear is found, apply some grease to the areas showing signs of wear(slide glide, frog paste, bore tech or whichever your prefer). From the reading ive been doing, if you apply grease to the wear areas before the first shots it helps a lot with the break in and reduces gradual wear over the life of the firearm.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The first thing I do when I get a new gun is a field strip and good cleaning/lubing.

Somtimes I will take it apart multiple times just to be sure I know how. Usually I only do that if it is a new to me platform or if I'm really bored.

Carefull with using grease, some guns do not like grease. The Kimber I had for a while hated it. Others you could use high temp waterproof bearing grease on them and they would still run fine.

EDT: BTW over lubing can cause just as many problems as running it dry.

Last edited:

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    The first thing I do when I get a new gun is a field strip and good cleaning/lubing.

Somtimes I will take it apart multiple times just to be sure I know how. Usually I only do that if it is a new to me platform or if I'm really bored.

Carefull with using grease, some guns do like like grease. The Kimber I had for a while hated it. Others you could use high temp waterproof bearing grease on them and they would still run fine.

EDT: BTW over lubing can cause just as many problems as running it dry.

This. Every new gun should be cleaned and lubed. This is a great chance to familiarize yourself as well as ensure everything is in proper working order. No matter what you use just make sure you do lube. I usually utilize grease.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Never know when there could be a piece of extra junk where it shouldn't be.

Especially recently seeing how guns were flying out of factories like crazy. I'd almost bet there are more metal shavings and polymer burrs floating around in nooks and crannies in guns made since December because of the huge rush to get them made.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Especially recently seeing how guns were flying out of factories like crazy. I'd almost bet there are more metal shavings and polymer burrs floating around in nooks and crannies in guns made since December because of the huge rush to get them made.

^^this. it is best to tear down a weapon fully when new, or to the best of your knowledge.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I took an AR lower apart for my Son and washed it in acetone and then prepped it for duracoating. In the pan that I washed it in had all sorts of small metal filing in it. I strained it through a peace of cloth to clean all the stuff out of it before putting it back in the can.

All the filings could have caused problems in the future. I am glad I got them out. I think I may do this to all my new guns in the future to get such stuff out. I did do it to an older gun and it didn't have any where near the stuff in it that the new lower did. Then most of it was probably cleaned out over the years or by the factory when it was first built. Lets face it there was a time when people took more pride in what they did than most do now.

Top Bottom