• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I'm standing at a booth filling out this form and I wondered if I can fill out the information ahead of time and just hand over a form to the dealer. It would save some time and it's hard to stand there and fill out the form with people bumping into me.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IIRC, all 4473 forms are sequentially numbered and the dealer to whom they are issued by the BATFE is accountable for every single one of them. Just MHO, but I doubt that you'll be able to find a dealer who will give you a blank one, especially just to make it more convenient for you to buy from someone else.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So they don't have a stack of them at the library like the 1040?

Actually, I thought you could print them out, maybe even with my details printed in, all I would have to do is sign on the line.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    IIRC, all 4473 forms are sequentially numbered no and the dealer to whom they are issued by the BATFE is accountable for every single one of them. no Just MHO, but I doubt that you'll be able to find a dealer who will give you a blank one, especially just to make it more convenient for you to buy from someone else.
    A dealer will not hand out a blank one though

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think it has to be filled out in front of the FFL. I am not absolutely sure though, but I think he has to verify that he saw you check the boxes as a legal matter. It is a legal form with the potential for severe penalties for mistakes or omissions.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    IIRC, all 4473 forms are sequentially numbered and the dealer to whom they are issued by the BATFE is accountable for every single one of them.

Nope. Not the case. They come as blank forms, non serial'ed and non sequential. If there is an error on one, we can shred them and have you start a new one. The only time they're registered is when they're called in - and that's only a NICS check number, the form itself doesn't need to be serialized.

I think it has to be filled out in front of the FFL. I am not absolutely sure though, but I think he has to verify that he saw you check the boxes as a legal matter. It is a legal form with the potential for severe penalties for mistakes or omissions.

Correct. It needs to be filled out in person. At the time of filling out the 4473, we check (and photocopy) your drivers license. Then it gets called in and the transaction is assigned a number by the NICS system.

And they're public forms. Anyone (even non-dealers) can order all the from the BATFE website. If you want a blank one, they're free. CLICK HERE It won't be valid if you fill it out before hand, but if you need to practice.....

hetfield1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    IIRC, all 4473 forms are sequentially numbered and the dealer to whom they are issued by the BATFE is accountable for every single one of them. Just MHO, but I doubt that you'll be able to find a dealer who will give you a blank one, especially just to make it more convenient for you to buy from someone else.

They are completely blank when a dealer gets them

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I think it would hurt whatever bargaining power you had if you came into the shop with the form already filled out.

It's like screwing your license plate on the car before the test drive.

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    I work at Dnham's sports and I can tell you now, stores like us will never allow and most dealers won't cause they can't trust you. No one is allowed to help you on the form without a witness and they wouldn't be able to prove you filled it out yourself. Bottomline is that the form can be filled out in less than 5 minutes by a child. Just gonna have to deal with it.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Many have chimed in and some are correct.

1) 4473 forms can either be ordered through the BAFTE by a dealer or downloaded, technically by anyone on the BAFTE website.

2) 4473 Forms ARE NOT numbered when sent, they do have a space for numbering with the intention that the FFL will use the allotted space as a measure of quick filing retrieval if and when the BAFTE inspects there documentation

3) 4473 forms MUST be filled out at the time of purchase as the information filled out by the customer has a potential to change over time.

4) 4473 forms are used not only to track customer info, but also NICS verification numbers, type of firearm, the dealer who sold the firearm and are in-fact the only form that legally signifies that the customer was eligible to own a firearm (based upon how the customer answers the questions) and based upon the NICS response and verification number, and as such no FFL would allow a pre-filled out copy to be used as it holds too much liability for them, their business and their FFL license itself.

With that being said, some FFL's are moving to the e-check which is nice but doesn't work too well in situations like the 1500.

Top Bottom