• ...and so much more!
  • marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    20130413_170306_zpsd38f39c2.jpg

I've been wanting to get one for a while now and my grandmother decided to give me my grandpas the other day. It has been sitting a long time and I'm about to break it down and give it a good cleaning. The only other rifle I have is an ar though so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here. Any links to a manual for the savage Springfield 187j? Also does anyone know of any common problems with them that I might watch out for? Thanks!

luckydog465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    CONGRATS on the new rifle! Now to find some ammo! The quest begins. Trust me you will probably be shooting this way more often at the range. Cost a lot less. Lots of fun too.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I know right! A while back I split the cost of a box with a good friend of mine so I could shoot his and we didn't end up using it so I already have a little bit. Can't wait to take it out.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    20130413_170306_zpsd38f39c2.jpg

I've been wanting to get one for a while now and my grandmother decided to give me my grandpas the other day. It has been sitting a long time and I'm about to break it down and give it a good cleaning. The only other rifle I have is an ar though so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here. Any links to a manual for the savage Springfield 187j? Also does anyone know of any common problems with them that I might watch out for? Thanks!
    Very nice rifle. Now, you are going to, just like said on the above posts, be shooting this more than the others. :yesway:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    CONGRATS on the new rifle! Now to find some ammo! The quest begins. Trust me you will probably be shooting this way more often at the range. Cost a lot less. Lots of fun too.
    I have around 4,000 rounds of .22 LR HV, and around 400 rounds of .22 LR Hyper velocity. Even with that amount of .22 ammo, I have been cutting back a little bit on how much I shoot. I shoot .22 more than anything else, and will be happy as heck when I can start stocking up more...this time I will not let my stock of .22 to get below 5,000 rounds!:(

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    congrats, on your new rifle, she is very nice indeed! Take good care of it so you can pass it along to your family when the time comes for we are just humble stewards to these fine pieces of equipment. Once again congrats!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    There is a screw on the bottom of the stock. Unscrew it. Should be a "cap" on the rear of the receiver. Unscrew it. Pull the trigger and pull the bolt handle back. Everything should fall out. Pull out the bolt handle and then push the bolt out with the firing pin. Then take out the tube insert. That should be it. I have a Stevens 87b which is very similar to that rifle.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Oh and your rifle is a bolt action and a semi auto. I could go on and on but check out the action when firing. It is unique. The bolt handle if pushed in while the bolt is forward will lock the bolt for bolt action mode. The rifle shoots .22 short, long, and long rifle.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I used to go through about 200 rounds of .22 per day at the range. Now I am only through about 100 on non match days. My 357 picks up the slack though as it is fun, but since it is a slower loading process I spend time doing that.

I did go through about 3-400 rounds yesterday in a match. Good thing I have been able to secure a couple thousands rounds in the past few months (not saying it was a great price though).

Top Bottom