Finish SBR after stamp is approved but not in hand?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm going to wait, but I was curious as to when/how the stamp goes into effect.

Since one of the requirements is that you have to have the stamp with you while you are in possession of the NFA item, I would think that means you need to have the stamp in hand before finishing it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Since one of the requirements is that you have to have the stamp with you while you are in possession of the NFA item, I would think that means you need to have the stamp in hand before finishing it.

im absolutly no expert on nfa items, but i was told by corey at ssnfa (expert) that you dont have to have the stamp with you, but its a good idea. i forgot my stamp at a show once, and i was about to hide my suppressor and got pretty nervious. i went and talked to corey thinking he might know what i should do and he said dont worry about it.

mabye i miss understood him

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As stated it's not a requirement.

I would say that you would probably be "safe" doing so, but it wouldn't be smart. You are required to present upon request your stamp to a BATF officer IIRC. If you don't physically have your stamp yet that makes it hard.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    So it's kind of what I thought: Not illegal to assemble the SBR, but not very smart given the headache that could result from doing it.

Of course, that assumes that you believe that the nice lady on the phone typed in the name and SN correctly, that you gave her the correct SN, That there wasn't a "glitch," etc.

Yep, best to have the stamp in hand.

Top Bottom